Re: BladeSystem Power supply question (85 Views)
Neighborhood Admin
chuckk281
Message 1 of 2 (86 Views)

BladeSystem Power supply question

Ingbert had a customer question on power supply performance:

I have a question about the reaction of a C7000 Powersupply,  if the voltage slips for about  4 μs.

Can  the powersupply compensate this?

Reply from Chris:

Do you mean input AC voltage?

If so, I believe that all modern switching power supplies will sustain their output for at least 1 ms upon the input power being removed.  There is simply enough power stored in the internal componentry of the power supply to maintain the output power for a few milliseconds.  This is 250 times longer than the 4 microsecond period you are concerned about.

However, your question seems to be a bit strange, as in practice it is nearly impossible in the industrial power infrastructure to suppress power for such a short period of 4 microseconds.  Just the inductance of the wires will be enough to force the current to flow for longer period.  In other words, 4 microsecond blackouts do not happen.

Perhaps I misunderstood your question.

Comments or questions?

Please use plain text.
Neighborhood Admin
chuckk281
Message 2 of 2 (85 Views)

Re: BladeSystem Power supply question

Back from Ingbert:

The customer wants to install a new UPS which is energy optimized. The supplier of this UPS states that if

There is a power outage the output of the UPS can have a 4 μs outage too and wants to know if this might give a problem to the C7000.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation