Re: How does Agile Manager compare to ALM? (2033 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Steven Hild
Message 1 of 13 (2,295 Views)

How does Agile Manager compare to ALM?

I haven't received my beta acceptance email yet, but in watching the demos and looking at the ALM pages it seems like there is some overlap.

It looks like Agile Manager can be used by our Product Managers to manage what we call "features". And then dev teams can look at the highest priority features and then break it down so that additional planning can be done. Once we start work on the feature the team can update their progress so our dev management can track the entire features progress.

We are looking at Quality Center for managing our Quality Engineering group and was wondering how defect creation would merge into Agile Manager? As a developer I would want to see "my work", which includes new feature tasks as well as any defects found during testing.

Sorry I'm rambling but I am trying to determine how these tools would fit into our environment.

Steve

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
tsachm
Message 2 of 13 (2,285 Views)

Re: How does Agile Manager compare to ALM?

good questions!  some of the questions refer to best practices and some relate to the type of role you play in the development team.

For example, if my team is a real "scrum", I should be able to see and manage my work in the team's backlog (of the current sprint) or the wall / taskbaord.

On the other hand, if my role is cross-team (usually relevant to QA, DBA etc) - one cool feature is "My Stories" widget (attached) -  it present all of you work and the stages the work is. The person does not need to drill down and go into any specific team backlog and can maintain everything from he's/she's home page.

I'll ask our functional architects to join the thread and maybe elaboare on the ALM synchronizer

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Omer_Benedict
Message 3 of 13 (2,275 Views)

Hi Steve, great question.

In general, defects can be managed in Agile Manager.

Our own dev team uses Agile Manager to manage the defects that are found in the Agile Manager beta program and to prioritize them with the whole backlog.

Defects can be managed in Agile Manager and can also be linked to user stories.

We are planning to add the ability to synchronize defects between ALM and Agile Manager, to support the scenario that you described: the Quality Assurance team uses Quality Center for defects creation, and the dev teams use Agile Manager to plan their work: user stories and defects that are going to be handles in each sprint. A new defect in ALM will appear in Agile Manager, and an update of a status of a defect in Agile Manager will be reflected in ALM.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MacJ2
Message 4 of 13 (2,224 Views)

Hi!

I would also like to see the synhronizer work with the requirements module in ALM. Actually I would like to see some kind of best practices in how HP thinks ALM and agile manager best fit together. E.g. if a team wants to use both tools, which is the best way to do that? E.g. How does the Release module integrate with planning in Agile Manager. And many many more questions. 

At my company at the moment we are implementing a two way synch both to defects and requirements module in ALM with JIRA. I think it would be a pity if Agile Manager is not heavily in synch with QC/ALM/other HP test tools as this truly will give HP an advantage over Atlassian or Rallys solutions.

Br

Marcus

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Victoria Voinigescu
Message 5 of 13 (2,215 Views)

Agile Manager offers full support for creating and managing defects associated with the agile release - be they related to user stories  or the legacy code, or even  found by running Static Code Analysis.  These defects are treated as backlog items, and the effort to fix them is being tracked. More so, the development effort for fixing them is also tracked at the code  level - the Dev Insight analytics show  the breakdown of code commits associated with user story implementation vs. fixing defects. This breakdown is a good indicator of the quality of the code.

There are however defects that are uncovered by running automated regression suites, or performance testing. Agile Manager does not offer currently support for this type of testing, while ALM/QC does. By using the two-way synchronization between Agile Manager and ALM/QC (available end of 2012), this type of defects can automatically be logged into ALM, and then synchronized into Agile Manager.

But consider the bigger picture, when not all your releases are agile.  ALM/QC integrated with Agile Manager will address both agile and waterfall releases. ALM will offer a consolidated view of all  defects.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MacJ2
Message 6 of 13 (2,194 Views)

Hi, thanks

I believe that Release management between ALM and Agile Manager should be integrated somehow.

ALM: Release/Cycle

Agile M: Release/Sprint

Would be nice to get them to live in the same Release space and have one place to get an overview of the planning

What will happen for target release and target cycle if User Stories are synchronized for example .

For me ALM is a very good platform to build up a maintenance object (Or the reqs and tests describing the object). And Agile could be one type of process for handling change of that maintenance object

Then the integration between ALM and Agile Manager is important for traceability.

How Agile Manager transform the maintenance object in ALM

/M

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Omer_Benedict
Message 7 of 13 (2,173 Views)

When we release the synchronization capabilities we will clearly document how Agile Manager entities are mapped to ALM entities.

To address your question I can already share that the synchronization will require the ALM Release/Cycle to be correlated with the Agile Manager Release/Sprint.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MacJ2
Message 8 of 13 (2,166 Views)

Ok, thanks!

/M

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TamerHusnu
Message 9 of 13 (2,060 Views)

Is there any word on the release date for ALM Synchronizer capabiliities?
Also, would it support ALM 11 or only 11.5?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
tico24
Message 10 of 13 (2,055 Views)

I've been told that it'll support both 11 and 11.5, but the 11.5 version will be ready before the 11 version is.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
TamerHusnu
Message 11 of 13 (2,045 Views)

Thanks for the additional info Tico.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MacJ2
Message 12 of 13 (2,034 Views)

Hi,

I guess this synchronizer will support creation of entities on either side?

HP Synchronizer as I have been told can only synchronize between already existing entities in say two ALM projects.

It would be very nice if this new synchronizer also supports true synchronization between ALM projects. Not only between ALM and AM

So that you can create a network of projects in ALM and AM which are working on the same items

Best Regards

Marcus

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
MacJ2
Message 13 of 13 (2,033 Views)

I just read in a previous post that creation is supported. But then I will love to see the synchronizer do the same between ALM projects :-D
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation