Should be able to change the parent of a user story without deleting and recreating another one (277 Views)
Contributor
Message 1 of 4 (277 Views)

Should be able to change the parent of a user story without deleting and recreating another one

Rally has a cool feature where you can edit an user story and change the parent to another user story. easily by just clicking on the parent button and selecting some other stories. 

HP Pro
Message 2 of 4 (252 Views)

Re: Should be able to change the parent of a user story without deleting and recreating another one

I have a similar request.  The ability to break a story is nice, but if we later create a story that we would like grouped under a parent story there is no way to make that happen that I can see.  I have ended up creating a whole new story under the "parent" story in the child view and copying the contents from the original story to the new one.  Then deleting the story I just copied information from. 

In Agilefant, it is also easy to change story parents, and we have used that capability in previous releases of our product to organize stories.  The feature grouping helps with filtering the backlog, but it is currently hard to keep the ancestry of all of the stories in our backlog straight.

I am an HP employee.
Valued Contributor
Message 3 of 4 (234 Views)

Re: Should be able to change the parent of a user story without deleting and recreating another one

Thanks for your feedback. We will look into it for future versions of Agile Manager.

A follow up question to the forum.... In the current Agile Manager implementation, Group Stories are not part of the Theme/Feature hierarchy, so  you may have a situation where  user stories under the same Group story that belong to different features.

Do you have such scenario in your projects/products ? Do you have such a need or the hierarchy structure is always strict and constant - Theme -> Feature - > Group Story - > User Story

HP Pro
Message 4 of 4 (226 Views)

I can't speak for others, but I don't think it would be a requirement that the features, and themes would have to match.  I imagine that in most cases it would. 

When we used this capability in Agilefant, it was more of a way to track how a story was broken down over time and an easy way to find the child stories of an Epic.

I am an HP employee.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.