Re: Session timeout (1006 Views)
Occasional Advisor
CMer
Message 1 of 15 (1,070 Views)

Session timeout

What is the current amount of time at which the user session will timeout?  Is this user configurable?

Just asking... it seems a little on the short-side.  I'm having the issue identified in:

Died upon relogin after timeout

so, when it times out, I have to completely shutdown my browser/restart it to get back into AM.

HP Expert
slbruce
Message 2 of 15 (1,006 Views)

Re: Session timeout

The session times out after one hour of inactivity. This is managed by the site adminsitrator so cannot be configured by the user.

Thanks

Spencer
Regular Visitor
OlegV
Message 3 of 15 (981 Views)

Short clarification.

Session timeout is 60 minutes  and the motivation is to protect access to user's data in case of public / shared computers.

In case session has expired user is redirected to login page .

In your case the thrown exception is  unexpected behavior that doesn't happen on our environment.

I send you email to collect exact details from your environment.

Frequent Advisor
rshmiel
Message 4 of 15 (957 Views)

Hi CMer,

I have a theory I am trying to validate and I need more information about how you are using the application.

Can you please say how frequently you login the Community (the page we communicate through) and how do you open it?

Are you using the same browser for both?

Thanks in advance,

Ronen

Occasional Advisor
CMer
Message 5 of 15 (949 Views)

Hello Ronin,

I typically have the AM community page up and within the same browser. 

I think you are suggesting that their might be session corruption going on between the two?  That had crossed my mind... as I log in to the community site only when I want/need to update/submit content.

As a test... With AM Saas up... I logged into this community site.  Behold... my AM session threw a session logout dialog window up on my next activity. 

So, I think you are correct that there might be there.

Thanks

Mark

Occasional Advisor
shay-tsadok
Message 6 of 15 (936 Views)

Hi,

We believe that we found the problem.

The problem was fixed and deployed to production.

Please let us know if the problem still occur. 

Thanks,

Shay

jeh
Visitor
jeh
Message 7 of 15 (905 Views)

60 minutes is too short for a productivity tool to be used in a professional enterprise.  If Outlook or our developers SDK timed out in 60 minutes there would be a revolution.

Leave the security to the enterprise to manage.  Don't embed your assumptions for the lowest common case  of a public computer.

Occasional Advisor
shay-tsadok
Message 8 of 15 (893 Views)

Hi Jeh,

Thank you for your feedback.

Today we use the "one hour of incactivity expriaction", which is the standard in the inducstry.

Still, I agree with you that it's too short, and the best way is to leave the decision in your hands.

I will surly take it forward here in R&D.

Thanks,

Shay

Frequent Advisor
DebKelchner
Message 9 of 15 (879 Views)

We would agree with this - 60 minutes is too short for a tool our team members are in constantly.  Confgurable would be ideal - maybe at the tenant level by the admin.

Occasional Contributor
ccallas
Message 10 of 15 (861 Views)

I whole-heartedly agree.  The current timeout is far too short.

When I used Rally, this was not a problem. The session timeout is user-selectable, from 30 minutes to 10 hours.  And, it was easy to set it up so it my browser could auto-login.

To really use this tool for my Agile tasks, I want to stay logged in all day.  With tasks that are often only one or a few hours long, it should be extremely easy to go back to Agile Manager and update my task board.  Having to re-login is a major pain and is one more barrier to having the tool reflect reality.

Having a "remember me" or "stay logged in on this computer" feature would help.  The comment about "industry standard" practice doesn't match my experience. These features are common, especially for tools that are providing a "work environment" kind of functionality.

Thanks.

KFO
Occasional Visitor
KFO
Message 11 of 15 (807 Views)

I would agree that the current timeout needs to be enhanced.  If it must stay global, at least increase the amount of time.  Obviously the preference would be some type of configuration, either at sign in time, or by account, or whatever.  Basically the current timeout is too short and causes frustration with Agile Manager. 

Occasional Visitor
remusjivcu
Message 12 of 15 (791 Views)

I subscribe to the feedback provided above. We really need a different approach on the session timeout feature, either a) simply increase it to a reasonable timeframe (8-10 hours to cover a business working day), or b) implement "Remember me" like feature, or c) have the session timeout configurable on user profile, rather than site setting. Or any other idea that makes usage of AGM more efficient?

In any case, is there any update to this from AGM team? Thanks.

Advisor
cocarp2000
Message 13 of 15 (752 Views)

First of all, I leave AGM open in one of my browser tabs.  It is corprate policy for me to lock my computer when I am not at my desk, so nobody has access to my applications.  If they do gain access it is because I am not following policy.   

Secondly, I am constantly losing infomation with this timeout functionality.  In part because 60 minute timeout is too short, but also in part that the application doesnt actually sign me out on my browser like a banking application would.  I constantly go to the tab in my browser and the application appears to be open.  I enter a long winded description of a defect and hit the save button.  BUT WAIT, its been more than 60 minutes and the sign on page appears.  I just lost all my data. 

Occasional Visitor
CaptainA
Message 14 of 15 (716 Views)

This should be a simple choice to be made by the user. If the user wants to increase the time or even disable it they should be able to.

I also have been loosing information as well because of this crazy security setting. If you don't want to remove it at least make it a user choice.

Regular Advisor
Kobyf
Message 15 of 15 (707 Views)

Hi guys,

We really appreciate all your feedback regarding the session timeout.

We are planning to improve this user experience in one of our upcoming releases.

What we plan to do is the following:

1. Renew the session as long as user clicks on the keyboard before the session has expired.
  2. Notify the user that session is about to expire, with ability to renew the session in one click.
  3. In case of session timeout, the user will be ask to enter password and he will be able to continue from the point session was expired (no data loss). There will be no redirection to the portal and no application reload

In the meantime we are considering to increase the session timeout. Please stay tuned.

Koby

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.