Re: If my 3PAR has 3 cages, does that mean that I have to create my CPGs with 3 "disks"? (659 Views)
Frequent Advisor
StuartA46
Message 1 of 5 (707 Views)
Accepted Solution

If my 3PAR has 3 x cages, does that mean that I have to create my CPGs with 3 "disks"?

[ Edited ]

On our old P10000 V400 we had disks in 4 x cages.  So we created the disks so that the CPGs were 3+1.  Now we only have 3 cages on the 7200, so do the CPGs have to be 2+1?  Is that how that works?  They call that "cage availability", I think.

Is there a manual that specifically explains this?

Stuart

P.S. This thread has been moved from  Storage > General   to Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise). -HP forum moderator

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 5 (687 Views)

Re: If my 3PAR has 3 cages, does that mean that I have to create my CPGs with 3 "disks"?

>so do the CPGs have to be 2+1?

Yes, if you want HA cage.  RAID 1 would also work.

>Is there a manual that specifically explains this?

Have you looked at the Concepts Guide?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en...

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03606434/c03606434.pdf

System Guidelines for Creating CPGs

Frequent Advisor
StuartA46
Message 3 of 5 (681 Views)

Re: If my 3PAR has 3 cages, does that mean that I have to create my CPGs with 3 "disks"?

That's a good answer, then I had a thought:  We use RAID-6 for something and I think it has 4+2 in four cages.  So, how does that work?  does it take 4 chunklets based on cage availability then take 2 more chunklets from the next 2 x disk "row"?

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 5 (676 Views)

>how does that work?  does it take 4 chunklets based on cage availability ...

How did you create the VV?  How did you create your CPG?

Given a VV:

showld -vv vv-name  # lists the LDs

showldch -lformat set -linfo pdid,pdch ld-name        # lists the chunklets in a LD

The default is 8 chunklets in a RAID 6 set.  And with HA cage, they alternate on the 4 cages.

Honored Contributor
Sheldon Smith
Message 5 of 5 (659 Views)

RAID6 takes two chunklets from each cage. 4D+2P would be across three cages.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.