08-23-2012 08:05 AM
Our Client have one 3par v400 storage & We are planning to connect connect it via Brocade 4/12 San switch for Hp C-class blade system, which is 4Gbps. Does 3par support 4Gbps swich ??
Also, Which is the best method you suggest for connectivity?
1. Connect 3par directly to blade san switch
2. Connect Blade san switch to Core san switch as extened switch & Connect 3par to core san switch
3. Connect Blade san switch to Core san switch as access gateway (NPIV) & Connect 3par to core san switch
08-23-2012 10:28 PM
I'd go with option 2.
Wouldn't it be better to connect the v400 to an 8Gbps switch - in case you in the future want to connect the v400 to a host with 8Gbps HBA?
If you're not approaching the limit of max domain ID in your SAN then I wouldn't go with option three - setting up ISL trunking is a bit easier and IMO more dynamic than with the access gateway and N_Port trunking.
Click the Kudos Star if this was a good post.
08-29-2012 09:57 AM
The P10000 PCI-e FCAs support both 8Gb and 4Gb. Even 2Gb, although I'd hope someone was actively upgrading any 2Gb hardware in the process. You can set the front-end port speed, but the documentation recommends leaving it to auto-negotiate.
Depending on how many FCAs you have installed for FE connections, connecting directly to the blade SAN switches may be just fine: 4 nodes, 6 FE cards per node, 4 ports per card = 96 ports.
Look at the HP San Design Guide, and the HP 3PAR Implementation Guides for your operating systems for more information.
09-05-2012 02:31 AM
I managed to resolve this issue. These are the steps i followed.
1. Connected 3par to the Core san switch which is on 8Gbps
2. Enable access gateway mode on blade interconnect switch
3. Connect blade interconnect switch with Core san switch
4. Configure zone with WWPN of 3par stg host port + WWPN of blade server mezzanine fc ports + WWPN of blade interconnect switch port which is connected with core san switch.
What I was missing was the WAP of blade interconnect switchport. I didn't included this when i done zoning previously. 3par unable to detect the zoned blade servers until you put the interconnect port wwpn in the zoning.
09-22-2012 12:55 PM
For querries regarding HP 3PAR and HP storage products you can take a look at the HP Guided troubleshooting tree.
Link for the same is below: