HP UPS Management Module UPS-Pass Through Mode (547 Views)
Occasional Advisor
JD_WF14
Message 1 of 5 (547 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP UPS Management Module UPS-Pass Through Mode

We are trying to get an HP R3000XR ups to work with an hp UPS management module. I have installed and configured the card and I can access the card via a web browser. However the information it is displaying is all wrong. I found a Customer advisory explaining that the UPS needs to be a certian firmware level to get the card to read the information correctly. I am having a hard time getting the Management card to go into UPS-Pass Through mode.

Basically When I reset the card and push a button to inturupt the boot process, I am presented with 3 options, 1 configure card, 2 UPS-Pass Through, 3 Exit. When I push 2 the screen just sits there and says entering pass-through mode. Is there a trick to making this work? Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Brian Vo
Message 2 of 5 (547 Views)

Re: HP UPS Management Module UPS-Pass Through Mode

Hi,

I guess you see the Overview Meter wrongly report as a 3-phase UPS?
First, upgrade the FW of UPS R3000XR (make sure not a R/T3000) to FW= 2.02(once select option 2, the Config Port on the card will act as a serial port of the UPS, the UPS FW flash utility would communicate directly to UPS) or you can use the built-in serial port on UPS to flash the UPS (9600,8,n,1,none)

If your card has an old FW=1.20 then the lastest HPMM FW= 2.1.3, you can flash via the Config Port (as is, not set to Pass-Through) or via Network port.

Caution; both flash utilities are not the same!

Find them here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/platforms/rackandpower.html

Brian
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JD_WF14
Message 3 of 5 (547 Views)

When you say after you push #2 it becomes a serial port, does that mean the Teal adapater and standard cat5e cable will no longer work? I will need to use a standard serial config cable with 9600, 8,1, n? Thanks for the reply.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JD_WF14
Message 4 of 5 (547 Views)

Forget the last post, I am pretty sure there is something wrong with these 2 UPS's. I have a r5500 in the same data center, and When I put that Management card into Pass through, I can get the ERM tool to connect and say invalid ups, I can also get HP Power Manager to connect to the UPS via serial. Do I need to just powercycle these r3000?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JD_WF14
Message 5 of 5 (547 Views)

Just an FYI, I had to totally power down both UPS's to get the card to go into pass through mode so I could flash the UPS firmware.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation