FTP using SSH hangs (400 Views)
Advisor
Tschroeder
Message 1 of 6 (400 Views)
Accepted Solution

FTP using SSH hangs

Someone that I connect to via FTP wants to move to a more secure connection using SSH.   They gave me a new address and port(22) and said the the first time I would have to accept a 'fingerprint' file and then enter my normal user id and password.    When I connect, I hit enter on my FTP command and then the screen looks like the example below (I changed the address to protect the guilty).

$ ftp sshftp.clientaddress.com 22

SSH-2.0-WS_FTP-SSH_7.5.1

It just sits like that and never changes.   I am running OpenVMS 8.3, TCP/IP version -> v5.6

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steven Schweda
Message 2 of 6 (392 Views)

Re: FTP using SSH hangs

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tschroeder
Message 3 of 6 (353 Views)

Thanks Steven, that worked.    I had to create a new user on my system that matches the user name on the FTP server.   But then logged in as that new user, I was able to SFTP right in and enter my password.   THANKS!!!

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steven Schweda
Message 4 of 6 (348 Views)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tschroeder
Message 5 of 6 (338 Views)

With regular FTP, I was able to specify an input file that contained my user id / password and commands to upload files.   With SFTP, I don't need the user id, but I still have to enter a password, and after doing research it looks like I can't specify pwd in a batch (input) file.   

This process is automated and runs at night, so I need to be able to get the password in the input file, OR exchange SSH keys between my Open VMS machine and the client's SFTP server.    

1)  Does anyone have a trick for the password in the input file?    

2)  If I need to do the key exchange, are there any special directions since this is coming from an OpenVMS machine?   

Note:   I know how to spell SSH, beyond that, I am clueless.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Richard Brodie_1
Message 6 of 6 (331 Views)

You'll probably need to convert the public key from SSH2 format to OpenSSH format. That will be easier on the far end, though. Picking a random link: http://burnz.wordpress.com/2007/12/14/ssh-convert-openssh-to-ssh2-and-vise-versa/

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation