Re: Applying patches query.......... (213 Views)
Advisor
Message 1 of 10 (213 Views)

Applying patches query..........

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on patching 4 MPE systems and what the correct procedure is to follow.

Patch/iX shows as being version B.01.04 on all machines.

The HPSWINFO on all 4 machines show "*** MPE/iX MIT C.65.00 ***" so my first question is...

1 - does this mean that no power patches have been applied to date ? (I am an MPE novice BTW)

Further down in the HPSWINFO file, i can see that 2 of the systems have exactly the same patches applied, 1 differs slightly but 1 differs greatly.

In the following thread ( http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1219844777640+28353475&... )

...i am being advised to apply either patch NSTHD00A or the most current patch, NSTHDD5A to resolve the network issues that we are having.

Can anyone offer any advice please which is the best approach to take based on our current patch levels....applying NSTHD00A or NSTHDD5A ?

thanks in advance,

rgds,
Sean
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 10 (213 Views)

Re: Applying patches query..........

Hi Sean,

1. If there is no line saying "POWER PATCH..." below the line "*** MPE/iX MIT C.65.00 ***", then most likely there is no powerpatch applied to the system.

2. It is advised to apply the latest NST patch, which is NSTHDD5A; NSTHD00A is no longer available; it is superceded by NSTHDD5A.
King is the customer!
Advisor
Message 3 of 10 (213 Views)

Hi Emile,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have checked all 4 servers and the HPSWINFO file shows the following for all of them......

** *** MPE/iX MIT C.65.00 *** **
** TUE, FEB 29, 2000, 3:29 PM **
** LIST OF HEWLETT PACKARD COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE PRODUCTS **
** INTEGRATED FOR DATECODE : '4008' **
** PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONS PRECEDED BY ASTERISKS (*) ARE THE **
** PRODUCTS UPDATED/CHANGED BY THIS BUILD. CHANGES ARE **
** RELATIVE TO: **
** RELEASE ID: **
** DATECODE: <3831> **
** PLEASE DO NOT PURGE THIS FILE. IT IS USED TO LOG **
** CHANGE AND/OR PATCH INFORMATION AFTER INSTALLATION. **

So, it seems that none have any power patches applied....just single patches.

So, i guess i have 2 approaches.....

Would you advise....

1 - Just apply NSTHD55A
or
2 - Apply power patch 5 (a lot bigger job, yes ?)

As i say, i am new to MPE and this is the first time that i will have had to apply any patches to these systems.

Can you offer any advice and things to watch out for or is it a fairly easy task to perform ??

I think i recall reading, that i have to upgrade Patch/iX from my current version (01.04) to a newer version, yes ??

Thanks again for your help with this Emile.

Sean
Honored Contributor
Message 4 of 10 (213 Views)

Hi Sean,

Sorry for delay; just came back from a couple of days off.

NSTHDD5A is included on the latest powerpatch #6 for 6.5.

HP recommends to apply powerpatch. Patch/iX will automatically qualify the patches that are needed for the products sub-systems that are installed on your system.

To install MPE patches or powerpatches, please use the step-by-step instrutions (checklist A) of the "System Software and Maintenance" manual available at http://docs.hp.com.

The direct link to the 6.5 version manual is : http://docs.hp.com/en/30216-90325/index.html or pdf version: http://docs.hp.com/en/30216-90325/30216-90325.pdf
King is the customer!
Advisor
Message 5 of 10 (213 Views)

Hi Emile,

Thanks again for your reply.

I'll have a read up on how to apply powerpatch 6 and hopefully get chance to have a try on our development server in a week or so.

rgds,
Sean
Honored Contributor
Message 6 of 10 (213 Views)

Sean,

Since you did not identify what hp3000 you are running, I would also suggest that you also start the process to upgrade from 6.5 to 7.5, the most current version of MPE. Emile will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, you can go directly from 6.5 to 7.5. This of course will depend on whether or not your applications are supported on 7.5.

As always, make sure you have a couple of good SLT's and a good backup before you start the patch and upgrade process..

MY .02 for inflation,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Advisor
Message 7 of 10 (213 Views)

thanks for your input Chuck

we cannot go to 7.5 for that exact reason...the apps arent supported so patching 6.5 is as far as we can go to address these "network errors" that we are experiencing.

Sean
Honored Contributor
Message 8 of 10 (213 Views)

Sean,

I empathize with you as in my hp-ux world, I have several applications which are stuck on 11.00 without support for 11.11 or 11.23.

Been There Still There.

chuck
"Show me the $$$$$"
Honored Contributor
Message 9 of 10 (213 Views)

Sean,

As a member of the mpe community, I would be interested in knowing which third party is stuck on 6.5. Most of the third party vendors, after the announcement in 2001, agreed to keep up with HP and its versions of MPE.

Cuhck
"Show me the $$$$$"
Highlighted
Advisor
Message 10 of 10 (213 Views)

Thanks to all the replies on this thread.
I have added the patch on a test server and all went according to plan, but i cant say whether it has fixed my issue as we never experienced the chopped connections on this server.

I plan to add the patch in 10 days time on the server that has major issues, but can anyone just give me their 2 cents on how to backout the patch out ? (NSTHDD5A added by using Patch/IX)

Would it be a simple boot from a good SLT and then restore everything back from the previous nights backup which will be a full system backup ??

Is this the quickest/easiest/safest, or is there another way ???

thanks again
Sean
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.