Officejet 6110 Setup with Shared Telephone & Digital TAM (398 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Gordon A. Conner
Message 1 of 14 (398 Views)

Officejet 6110 Setup with Shared Telephone & Digital TAM

My Officejet 6110 is approx 1-1/2 years old and I am frustrated beyond belief with its (or my) inability to get it to receive faxes. It does transmit faxes. My OS is Win XP. The 6110 shares a common telephone line with my Panasonic KX-TG 2382 answering machine. I feel I've done my homework on this, trying and reading just about everything I could get my hands on, without even a glimmer of response. My current ring setup is for the answering machine to pickup on 3 rings, the 6110 on 6. If anyone can give me the "fix" on this in not too technical language I'd be eternally grateful!
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Ray Beers_3
Message 2 of 14 (398 Views)

Re: Officejet 6110 Setup with Shared Telephone & Digital TAM

Hi Gordon,

First 2 questions:
1) Which country are you in?
2) How exactly did you connect the Answering machine to the telephone line?
Through the Officejet or directly to the walljack?

Thanks in advance,

Ray
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gordon A. Conner
Message 3 of 14 (398 Views)

Hi Ray
I'm located in the U.S.(Maryland). My Panasonic answering machine is located on the 1st floor of my house connected to a telephone jack. The Officejet is located on the second floor and connected to a wall jack. I'm using a two-way splitter to connect the officejet and a telephone to this jack. Hope you can help. This doesn't seem to be an isolated problem with the 6110 and it really galls me that HP has apparently not acknowledged the problem and provided a solution. I'm about ready to junk the 6110!
Gordon
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kelly clifton
Message 4 of 14 (398 Views)

I'm copying my message below to multiple threads dealing with this issue, since HP seems to have the the same problem managing their forum as they do getting their all-in-one's to work properly!

"I have been going in circles with HP support and feel your pain.
My situation is that when I get a fax, my phone picks up first as per the manual and then the 6110 readout says "phone off hook".
I have tried different phones: Motorola, Panasonic, VTech. none work with the 6110.
I went to Radio Shack and picked up a Catch-A-Call MAX. I use it as a fax switch and it works. Thing is, it cost $89.00! It never fails...when I buy something, I have to go out to buy something else to make it work. PATHETIC!
Command Communications makes a cheaper fax switch, the comswitch 5500 that you can get from amazon.com for $47.95. I'll probably take my Cath-A-Call back if it's not too late and get the 5500.
Wait, I just saw the Catch-A-Call (not max) on amazon for $26.99. The problem with my c.a.c. is that when someone leaves a message, there is an annoying beep before they are done and it confuses the caller.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you find your own fix. :) "
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gordon A. Conner
Message 5 of 14 (398 Views)

Kelly
I've already tried one of those switching devices. I bought one for $89.95 at Best Buy--and returned it. It requires installation "in front of" your answering machine and your 6110. For me that's not practical as my 6110 is upstairs and my answering machine is downstairs. I did find a Lexmark all-in-one for $129.95 at Staples and had no problem receiving faxes on it. I returned the Lexmark though, because it had a gravity feed scanner and I want a flat-bed.
Gordon
Please use plain text.
Advisor
kelly clifton
Message 6 of 14 (398 Views)

hey gordon,
i have heard of a few folks who fixed their problem with the canon equivalent of the 6110. i foget te model number but it's on one of these threads.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Saul_7
Message 7 of 14 (398 Views)

Hi Gordon and others,

Have you tried connecting your phone to the back of the Officejet like it is intended ? When you split the line before the all in one it can never listen to the signal to detect if it is a fax or not.
carpe diem
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
RODNEY GONZALEZ
Message 8 of 14 (398 Views)

I've dealt with HP on this problem with my 6110 and they told me the issue I'm having is because I have TIME WARNER CABLE digital phone service.In other words tough luck there is nothing we can do for you.They told me to use an analog answering machine which no manufacturer makes anymore.It would be cheaper tfor me to throw the 6110 in the garbage and buy a cannon or a different company's unit.They have a pathetic excuse for customer service.It took about 8 months of phone calls for them to figure out there machine does not work with a tam on digital subscription.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Royal_G
Message 9 of 14 (398 Views)

Hi Gordon,

I have some sugetions regarding this issue but want to know if you are still using the unit.

Kalyan Biswas
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Deviprasad shetty
Message 10 of 14 (398 Views)

panasonic answering machines are digital answering machines which can give problems
try this , change the rings to answer so that your answering machine and fax machine will answer on the same number of rings.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jon Peiper
Message 11 of 14 (398 Views)

I don't have an answer, but I would like to share your pain. I am a doctoral student and our research office has a 6110. The problem is that it won't receive a fax even when it's connected directly to the phone jack with no other device on the line at all. It'll send a fax just fine, but won't recieve one. So, I'm fed up with this all-in-one or maybe it's just a 2 or 3-in-one.

Jon
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Andy Samuel
Message 12 of 14 (398 Views)

Gordon please follow following steps
1. Disconnect Unit power from back and then keep the on button pressed for abt 30 seconds- discharges capacitors
2. Press # & 6 together & reinsert power ( release buttons only when machine says Semi full reset/ Self test...Release the buttons
3. The machine will now do some internal settings...Redo the fax settings

I think after following these steps ur machine should work fine, plz tell me what happens !
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Kristina Byrd
Message 13 of 14 (398 Views)

Are you still having this problem? I have had the 6110 for almost 3 years and love it. I have the same set up you fo, Ithink. Did you download the patch for this model from Hp's website?

KPB
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kay lester
Message 14 of 14 (398 Views)

Is this the Gordon Allen Conner from Haltom City? This is absolutely the only place I can find you online! If you happen here again since 2004, please write me back. I have been hunting you for 40+ yrs. If this is the Gordon Allen Conner that did basic training in the Army at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. please respond. I would love to talk with you. kayouchtaqalla@yahoo.com

thanks.
kay lester
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation