Re: M2727-No fax detected errors (8200 Views)
Occasional Advisor
JKsmith_1
Message 1 of 26 (8,174 Views)

M2727-No fax detected errors

Issue: M2727nf often does not receive the faxes sent to it. When this happens most times, I get the error "No Fax Detected" Sometimes, I get " Comm Error". If the party that is sending the fax keeps trying, it will usually go through eventually.

I also own a HP 7580 multifunction fax and if I hook it up to the same line, it has no problems and never loses a fax.
This appeared to me at first to be a defect in the particular M2727 I had so I returned it for another.
New machine does exactly the same thing. I have turned on "Silence Detect" but it has made no difference.
Again, same line, same faxing parties, one machine works reliably as it should, one doesn't.
I am going to lose customers over this if I don't get it figured out quickly. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
E. Meiners
Message 2 of 26 (8,204 Views)

Re: M2727-No fax detected errors

Same problem here in Rotterdam (Netherlands).
Bought a M2727 to replace a HP Laserjet 3330. While the fax on the HP 3330 was working fine, no faxes are coming in on the M2727. The machine that sends the fax gets a 'no anwer' report.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JKsmith_1
Message 3 of 26 (8,204 Views)

Thanks for your response. Before I did though, I spent over 1 hour and 20 minutes on the phone "trying" to reach Tech support. All I got for my efforts was a couple of brief conversations with people that couldn't even speak english and then I was disconnected 3 different times when they tried to transfer me to the correct person. Any company that cares little about supporting it's products is a company I can do without.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
E. Meiners
Message 4 of 26 (8,204 Views)

Well, we have a next business day care pack (3 yr) for this machine, so I take it they'll resolve the problem quickly.
On the HP 3330 we also had a three year care pack and that served us quite well. It had two hardware problems which HP took care of within one day.
Now however the care pack had run out when it started giving some trouble again. That's why we replaced it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GrzegorzZAK
Message 5 of 26 (8,204 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem with M2727 (Warsaw, Poland).
Before, I used HP3880 on this phone line without any problems.
I sent M2727 to HP service and they replaced some electronics parts but it still doesn't work.

Best regards

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GrzegorzZAK
Message 6 of 26 (8,204 Views)

This machine doesn't work with some telephone exchanges (for example Alcatel 4400).

Follow is HP service solution:

Procedure Cold Reset

1. Turn off the product.
2. Simultaneously press and hold the Cancel button and the right arrow button (> ), and then turn on
the product.
3. Wait until the message Permanent storage init. appears, and then release the Cancel and right
arrow buttons.
When the NVRAM initialization process has been completed, the device control panel shows the
Ready message.

Setup for Alcatel 440

Find Access Parameter 105 (Mercury Ring Detect) through developers menu and change the value from default 0 to 1.

The steps are to change the parameter Ring Use Mercury is as below.
To get the Mercury ring detection enabled...
1) Go to the Developersâ menu by...
a) Go to the menu by pressing the "setup" button
b) Press and hold the "Right" Button
c) While the "Right" button is pressed, press the "Cancel" button.
d) Release both the buttons
e) Go to the menu again by pressing the "setup" button
f) See the item "developer's menu" available and Select this option.
2) Select Mercury ring by...
a) Go to the "R/W parameter" menu item
b) Look for "Ring Use Mercuryâ ... itâ s about 105 items away... (P.S. you may press "1" "0" "5" in sequence for quick access)
c) The default will be "0".
d) Changed this to "1" to activate Mercury Ring detection.
e) Reboot the system
Attempt to receive faxes and verify results.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JKsmith_1
Message 7 of 26 (8,204 Views)

HP should put the same effort into supporting their customers and testing their products instead of trying to silence those who only truthfully relate their experiences with them. I can deal with technical problems as long as the company responsible for them works with me in good faith to solve them. However, that was not my experience with HP in this case.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Tfenstermaker
Message 8 of 26 (8,204 Views)

I have the exact same problem as stated above "Bought a M2727 to replace a HP Laserjet 3330. While the fax on the HP 3330 was working fine, no faxes are coming in on the M2727. The machine that sends the fax gets a 'no anwer' report."
I have a VOIP line for my fax (Vonage) any suggestions?????
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
QueenOfMulti
Message 9 of 26 (8,204 Views)

I work and support these printers.
Unfortunatly this is a very common error on this particular printer itself.

First off that cold reset the other person suggested and instructed to do is not very well to do on your printer.

It basically erases everything in the printer. brings it back to factory defaults.Erases the serial number in the printer
and rarly ever works. We use this as a last resort.

I will give you some troubleshooting steps you can do to fix your printer. The same steps you would get as if you were to contact tech support.

If you are recieving comm errors.
print off a error report.
beside the comm errors with be a 3 digit number
if you go on hp.com and in the search box type in "comm errors" your able to view what these errors mean.
Sometimes all it is, is insufficient amount of power. or even a bad telephone line.

These printers are very picky, one thing i sugges is phoning the fax line on a regular telephone and listen to static. it might even not be noticable you can contact your phone company and get a sweeper signal sent over the line to clean it out.

Some of the settings you can change on to help these problems, such as comm errors and no fax detected are as follows.
Hit the setup key
go right till you find fax setup
press ok
go right till you find all faxes
press ok
you will see Error Correction
hit the right arrow key to turn it OFF
press ok
brings you back to fax setup > error correction
go right till you find fax speed
press okay
its defaulted to full
hit the right arrow key change that to medium

these settings are not going to harm or effect anything else on yur printer
there just going to slow it down a bit allowing the printer to hopefully easily connect over the telephone line.

another thing to check is the phone cable.
They do come with telephone cords that i know are somewhat to short. So you use antoher one. We want to make sure it is a 2 pin cord, most cords are 4. To find out, take the phone cord out of the jack, look into the clear plastic piece and you will see colorfull wires, you only want to see 2.
This is also going to cause communication errors. because signals are going to be lost in 2 of the pins that arnt being used. Thus giving you communication errors or no fax detected.

Next you can do is a soft reset on the machine. These will change all the settings back to default and erase anything saved in the printer such as a phonebook. This does not harm the printer in anyway

hit the setup buttons once
hold down the right arrow key
while holding down the right arrow key
hit the cancel button once
it will go back to ready thats ok
hit the setup button again
if you did it right it should say developpers menu
hit ok on developpers menu
go right untill you find "REINiT FFS"
press ok

this is going to bring the printer through some resets. it wil flash beep and the screen will say permanent storage init.
it will power off and on thats ok. wait till it comes to ready, reset all your settings if have necessary ones and try fax again.

VOIP :

the settings you want to change on your printer to get this to work. ( it may not work, our fax machines do have a hard time working over this kind of line )

Change the Baud rate :
your going to want to hit setup
then hold down right arrow
and while holding down the right arrow hit cancel
hit setup again
display should read developpers menu
if not keep doing it till you get it
once you see developpers menu hit ok
go right till you find "R/W Parameters"
press okay
enter 153 on the number pad
display should read "T30XMIT RATE"
press enter
then press the numbers 16 on keypad
then press enter
this wil change your baud rate which will help out on a VOIP service

Another setting to try is changing CNG Tone Min count

>>> press setup
hold down right arrow key
while holding down right arrow key, hit cancel button
hit setup again
should say developpers menu
press ok
go right till you find "R/W Parameters"
press okay
Go right till you find " CNG Tone Min
Count"
press okay
enter 3 on the keypad
press okay
then press cancel to exit developpers menu

Hopefully this will help you out a bit.
If you do have questions there is tech support available at
1-800-474-6836
and go to laserjet department
If you do have any more questions i do get notified when there is replys, so maybe i can help a bit more.

Please use plain text.
vlk
Occasional Visitor
vlk
Message 10 of 26 (8,204 Views)

We have a problem with fax M2727nf too, but the problem is different. These MFP connected to PBX (NEAX 2000IPS) and fax receiving is working properly but sending fail. Experiments show that problem appears only when the phone line from PBX is long because if MFP stays nearly to PBX or MFP connect to CO without PBX all OK.
The bug is strange: when press send fax button device not invite "send from glass" but goes to "receiving" or simply not reacts on pressing. If load the document and press button there is no dialing too, but the task saves and sending may start later, for examle with unplug the cord and plug again!
Sometimes helps the change of cords (both 2 pins similar length!!). I know that our PBX has low voltage on its extensions (about 20-21 volt) therefore problem maybe with physical parameters of line, something is on "threshold". Maybe there in developer`s menu is some useful settings for this problem?

P.S. other MFPs, analog fax-machines work correctly with our lines!
Please use plain text.
vlk
Occasional Visitor
vlk
Message 11 of 26 (8,200 Views)

Continuing of experiments shows more interesting thing. The cause of problems with sending is not length of phone cable but polarity or rather the complex of polarity and some parameters of PBX extensions. If change polarity (to interchange 2 wires) fax works normally. If fax connect to CO line 48V or 60V it works properly despite of polarity! In any case this situation is bug.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
happybob
Message 12 of 26 (8,200 Views)

Hi Guys,

My M2727nf seems to have problem receiving fax also with the "No Fax Detected" error. I tried the suggestions from one of the posts above by turning off "Error Correction" and decreasing the fax speed to "Medium V.17", and that seemed to fix the problem. I was able to receive fax in "TAM" mode without problem, M2727nf was able to detect the fax signal after my answering machine picked up without any issue.

Anyway, today I reinstalled my printer driver with the latest one from hp.com, and during the installation process, it also updated the firmware to the latest version dated 1/18/2008. Just out of curiosity, after the firmware update, I switched all settings back to default. I turned "Error Correction" back on, and fax speed back to "Fast V.34". I tried receiving fax again, and to my surprise, the fax came through smoothly. Looks like the latest HP M2727nf firmware from 1/18/2008 might have fixed the problem!!!

Those of you still having the "No Fax Detected" problem, try updating your firmware to the latest version, then post your result here. Hopefully the latest firmware has fixed all of our problems.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ITDEPT PIL
Message 13 of 26 (8,200 Views)

I have the same problem as VLK above, HP any fix on this one yet? The M2727nf is hooked up to a PBX. I can send a fax using my officejet 7130 on the same line (just pushing the phone line into the 7130 nothing else changes), however when I use the LaserJet M2727nf the line isn't picked up on the PBX, the M2727 just says "Storing Fax" until I unplug the phone line from the back of the M2727, wait until the M2727 tries to dial, then plug the line back in and it works. I have also tried connecting the M2727 directly onto a normal phone line and it works any ideas?......
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GregRHopp
Message 14 of 26 (8,200 Views)

Just FYI, we downloaded and updated the M2727 today, 8/18/08 with the latest firmware and we still get the "No Fax Detected." Suck!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JKsmith_1
Message 15 of 26 (8,200 Views)

I see you guys are still fighting this issue. (My first post was in March) Gee, I guess they don't like hearing the truth about their products do they?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GregRHopp
Message 16 of 26 (8,200 Views)

Ha ha, LOL! Good one JKsmith. I just got a fax through after turning off error correction per one of the above posts. I'm going to try it again.

HP usually has great LJ printers (well, at least anything not scraping the bottom of the price barrel anyway). So, I'll cut them some slack here.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JKsmith_1
Message 17 of 26 (8,200 Views)

Yeah, my main complaint is with the outsourced and TOTALLY USELESS tech support that I had to deal with and all of the issues related to that. The fact that they never sent me a rebate for another printer I boought, and then had the nerve to accuse me of cashing it and trying to get another one, was just icing on the cake.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GregRHopp
Message 18 of 26 (8,200 Views)

It may be early to say but with the latest firmware patch available, 6/12/2008, and turning error correction off on the main panel, I was able to get two consecutive faxes received.

Tomorrow will tell if we have beat this thing into submission.

Greg
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
JKsmith_1
Message 19 of 26 (8,200 Views)

Well, good luck. I hope you can get it going!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Heath Rathbone
Message 20 of 26 (8,200 Views)

Hey guys, I'm encountering the same problem.
Already running Firmware 20080118.

There is a newer Firmware update available- 20080612 Rev H (12 Jun 2008)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=au&prodTypeId=18...

Should be installing within the next week when next on-site.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GregRHopp
Message 21 of 26 (8,200 Views)

Heath, the suggestions by queenofmulti above fixed my problem on two of these units. I changed the fax connect speed to medium or low and problem solved.

HTH,

Greg
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jeremy Maines
Message 22 of 26 (8,200 Views)

I'm having the same issues as vlk. I was finally able to receive faxes thanks to the suggestions listed here. Now, when I send faxes, the first one goes lightning fast and any that I do after this one gets stuck in the queue. They may or may not actually begin to dial 5-10 minutes later or not at all. I've switched out the phone line for a 2-pin version and that did not help. Has anyone had this problem and then solved it?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
stewives
Message 23 of 26 (8,200 Views)

Got this to work. I was having the same issue as above on our Televantage phone system. It would store the fax and not do anything unless i disconnect the phone cord and replugged and even then it would dial and fail. I was using a two-line cord.

I am using the latest firmware...

I am now using a 4-Line Cord connected to a keystone jack with only 2-lines.

Did a Cold Reset and Went into the Service menu and reset all settings to defaults.

Changed Transmission Rate to Medium v.17
Turned Error Correction on.
Put my dial prefix in plus a pause.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Eric Wakkuri
Message 24 of 26 (8,200 Views)

I'm sure this is not everyone's issue, but for me I found it to be the STUPID mistake of just plugging the phone cord into the wrong phone port. I had it plugged into the handset port rather than the phone jack port. The system is No Fax Detected, but if you listen to what happens the fax machine picks up quickly and then disconnects causing the No Fax Detected error. I switched it to the correct port (top port on the M2727nf) and everything worked great!
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 25 of 26 (8,200 Views)

>Eric: I found it to be the STUPID mistake of just plugging the phone cord into the wrong phone port.

Yes, I made that mistake for years. The only reason I checked is a friend mentioned it. And since I could FAX from the computer modem, I assume I had it connected properly.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation