Re: HP 6110 Scanner error (1649 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Isaac Quirke
Message 1 of 15 (1,650 Views)

HP 6110 Scanner error

I am helping a friend that only wants her HP officejet 6110 to print. Everytime it starts up, it begins a self test. When the scanner arm moves to the right, it starts making a noise that leads me to believe that the device doesn't realize that it's all the way over. It continues to try, then gives the following message: "Scanner failure. Turn power off then on again."

Is there a way to disable the scanner altogether?

In the past, she's turned the power off then on again dozens of times, and eventually, when it passes the test for some reason; It will print. I was unable to duplicate this after several times trying and I couldn't imagine doing this every time. I also couldn't imagine that HP would manufacture a device that would be worthless if one function failed.

Please help.
Honored Contributor
Tom Leavitt
Message 2 of 15 (1,650 Views)

Re: HP 6110 Scanner error

Isaac:
Try the good ole reset first:
1.Verify that the 6110 is switched ON.
2.Remove the power cable from the back of the machine.
3.Wait 20 seconds. Press and hold down the POWER button as you reinsert the power cable.
5.Release the POWER button when the unit is ON.
AND/OR:
Unplug the power cord when the printer is ON, then press and hold the # key & 6 key together while reconnect the power cable ... release the buttons.
Let us know.
Tom
Learn From History
Occasional Visitor
Isaac Quirke
Message 3 of 15 (1,650 Views)

Thank you for the reply. I had actually dug around a bit before posting this and I tried this along with using # and 3. No luck. Still the carriage that moves the light in the scanner gets "stuck".

The scanner portion of this device is not used often. If there was a way to disable this and only use the printing capabilities, that would be great. I looked around for information on this and was unsuccessful.
Honored Contributor
Tom Leavitt
Message 4 of 15 (1,650 Views)

Isaac:
You'd want the problem fixed, if possible. Make sure the 6110 is plugged directly into a wall outlet [not surge protector.] And, this non-HP forum thread may give you more ideas, even though it refers to other model *-in-ones:
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/26463
PS.***HP FORUMS***
When you return to view answers, please rate them by ASSIGNING POINTS on a scale of 1-10.
To assign points, simply login and click the dropdown points menu next to each reply.
Use the following scale when rating responses:
N/A: The reply[s] were a clarification to my original question
1-3: The answer[s] didn't help answer my question, but thanks anyhow!
4-7: The answer[s] helped with a portion of my question, but I still need help.
8-10: The answer[s] has solved my problem completely! I'm a happy camper!
Learn From History
Occasional Advisor
el diablo
Message 5 of 15 (1,650 Views)

actually.. it sounds like your scanner bulb in the unit is not heating to the correct temperature which is causing the unit to come up with your scanner failure messages.
hp offers trade up options however you could take it in for service of a new bulb
Advisor
Zeljko Baralic
Message 6 of 15 (1,650 Views)

This idea is unofficial and is not published by HP. Every thing that you do, you do it at you own risk and responsibility! Neither HP nor I take responsibilities for any damage you make, action you may take and loss you may cause. Consider this as an idea, not as solution. This works in 80 percent of cases when scanner makes constantly repeatable grinding noise during power up of office jet 6110 or LaserJet 3330.
This action is written only for ITRC Support Forums and I do not approve to anybody to copy it, redistribute, publish it etc.

If CCD line sensor is operational than this action should do the job. It requires some technical experience, one torx T-10 Screwdriver, one 0,4x4mm flat screwdriver, one lint-free cloth and one spare Hg scanner bulb diameter 3-4mm 245mm long.

I am saying again: if you are not certain what are you doing you will destroy it. Also this may not solve the problem!

Unplug power and USB cable from device!!!

1. Remove ADF unit from scanner top.
2. Remove front panel bezel
3. Remove front panel (unlock latch in middle bottom than pick up for 20 degree and remove flat cable from back.
4. Unscrew four screws from top of scanner
5. Release two latches from front of scanner and remove scanner top with glass.
6. Clean the glass with lint free cloth especially part where is white stripe (white balance calibration tool)
7. Easily move scanner carriage to left of scanner. WATCH out not to brake any mechanical part!!!
8. Pick-up a bit scanner rood from left (opposite to the stepper motor) and remove toothed belt from scanner carriage.
9. From top two rectangular holes, using small flat screwdriver, release scanner carriage cover.
10. Release scanner flat cable from carriage PCB.
11. Remove scanner carriage from scanner.
12. Remove scanner bulb. Be very gentle! First remove cable from small inverter board than on cable side remove bulb from white holder. Release the holderâ s latch in the middle and remove the bulb with bulb white holder.
13. Clean scanner mirror without removing them (if you remove any of them you will distort optical geometry and focus) with lint-free cloth as much as you can. Also be very careful when cleaning lenses in the middle of carriage.
14. Exchange scanner bulb with new one in bulb holder and than put it back in scanner carriage.
15. Attach scanner carriage flat cable back. Put carriage back in its chamber. Put cover back on. Attach toothed belt for scanner carriage.
16. Put back the cover, front panel, bezel, ADFâ ¦ in couple of word put back all together as it was.
17. Plug power to device without connection USB cable. Push power on button.

This is also applicable to LaserJet 3300, 3310, 3320, 3330, 3020, 3030, 3380 than officejet 5510, photo smart 2175 Ail etc. Basically this applies to problem that may occur on devices whose scanner is made with Line CCD that operates longer than year or two, 24x7, in dusty environment.
Honored Contributor
Chandan Kumar_1
Message 7 of 15 (1,650 Views)

Hi,

Try to install firmware update.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=79477〈=en&cc=us&softwareitem=oj-14700-3

Chandan
Learn. Share. Inspire.
Occasional Visitor
mh4262
Message 8 of 15 (1,650 Views)

I'm having the exact same problem. Let me know if you have found a fix. I've had mine about 3 years and never used the copy/scan function very much at all. Now I can not do anything because I get the error message scanner failure.....Before I found this fourm I did take the top off but didn't know what I was going to do after that so I put it back on. I might try the fixes posted to see if they work.
Occasional Visitor
mh4262
Message 9 of 15 (1,650 Views)

Well I tried the firmware update but it didn't work. What did work is when I turned it on and waited for the scanner light to move out to the glass I turned it off. This shut off the machine while the scanner was not back in its place. I then turned it back on and it worked fine. No more noises ect...scans/copies fine. Like I said might just be lucky but give it a try.
Occasional Advisor
Daniele Bonini
Message 10 of 15 (1,650 Views)

As stated here:
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/22386

Before to trash your printer try to open it, with a bit of attention it is practicable, and clean the scanner equipment. Sticks, glasses and mirrors, all is accessible.

I guess this is the main solution to this problem.

--

Come potete vedere qui:

Prima di buttare la vostra stampante provate ad aprirla
e a pulire tutte le parti relative alla funzionalità di scansione.
Aste, vetri e specchi, tutto è accessibile.

Credo che questa sia la soluzione principale a questo problema.

Ciao
Daniele
Occasional Visitor
jay128
Message 11 of 15 (1,649 Views)

"What did work is when I turned it on and waited for the scanner light to move out to the glass I turned it off. This shut off the machine while the scanner was not back in its place. I then turned it back on and it worked fine. No more noises ect...scans/copies fine. Like I said might just be lucky but give it a try."
~mh4262

Worked for me too. All problems resloved with this quick fix.

Thanks mh4262!!
Occasional Visitor
jay128
Message 12 of 15 (1,649 Views)

I may have posted too soon...

Once I used the printer and restarted it the problem returned.

However, after cleaning the underside of the glass the problem was resolved! I only tried this after reading the following post and seeing many others have success after cleaning the glass.

Hope this helps!

-Jay
Occasional Visitor
Deepdale
Message 13 of 15 (1,649 Views)

The quick fix of pulling out the power cord sometimes works, but if it does not (as in a case in our workshop), try this method. To the left of the scanner glass is a torx screw holding down a plastic frame, remove this and the thin strip of glass underneath.
Turn on the unit and as the scanner head moves about two cm to the left, pull out the power cord. Repeat this process about ten times so that the scanner bulb is now exposed where the thin strip of glass was. Clean the bulb VERY CAREFULLY with a cotton bud, and the mirror underneath it. Replace the thin strip of glass and the plastic frame and power on. Hope this helps.
Occasional Visitor
Kazuki
Message 14 of 15 (1,649 Views)

"What did work is when I turned it on and waited for the scanner light to move out to the glass I turned it off. This shut off the machine while the scanner was not back in its place. I then turned it back on and it worked fine. No more noises ect...scans/copies fine. Like I said might just be lucky but give it a try."

THIS WORKED PERFECT FOR ME, EVERYONE SHOULD TRY THIS FIRST!
Occasional Visitor
chetioui
Message 15 of 15 (1,649 Views)

thenks my friend
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.