Re: 8500 Fax Answers Phone (886 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Raymond Sayre
Message 1 of 2 (1,076 Views)

8500 Fax Answers Phone

I have an Officejet Pro 8500 and I use it for faxes. I use the same phone line for fax and for a phone. They both are plugged into a wall jack. The 8500 uses a 2 connector phone line. I have the fax set to 4 rings and the phone/answering machine set to 5 rings. This setup use to work. When I received a call the fax would let it go to the phone and when I received a fax the 8500 would just pick it up. I also use had them set each to 5 rings and they worked fine. Recently though I switched to Time Warner Digital Phone service and now the 8500 picks up all the phone calls and doesn't let them pass through. I called time warner and they said their service is compatible with fax and the fax machine is at fault. I am just trying to find out what my problem may be? Thanks
Occasional Visitor
Karun
Message 2 of 2 (886 Views)

Re: 8500 Fax Answers Phone

Hi,

I would suggest you to change the physical connection of your fax machine.  Have the fax machine connected directly to the wall jack and the answering machine connected to the line 2 or the extension port of the fax machine and  set the fax to answer at 6 rings and the answering machine to answer at 4 rings.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.
Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts. Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.