vmbx files (1774 Views)
Advisor
Trimble
Message 1 of 15 (1,774 Views)

vmbx files

We are migrating our emails out of trim and see that they are vmbx format (which only play nicely with trim viewer). Is there a way to convert within trim so that when they are extracted they are done so in their original file format e.g. .msg?

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 15 (1,759 Views)

Re: vmbx files

The MSGs are renditions. So you need to extract those. I use a script for this. Private message me with your email address if you'd like a copy.
Advisor
Trimble
Message 3 of 15 (1,755 Views)

Have done - thanks

Advisor
Trimble
Message 4 of 15 (1,717 Views)

Been having a dig around and got some understanding I think of renditions.

But I've been crunching some numbers and things don't add up.

I've found 61542 VMBX files

I've also found 873 MSG files

This is by joining tsrecord and tsrecelec

Now looking at the tsrenditio table I only see 55014 matching records where the uri matches the uri

I'm approx 5k down on numbers

If rendition was a one to one thing then I don't understand...

Why would there be MSG files in the recelec and why would there not be the same number of MSG files in tsrenditio as there are vmbx files in tsrecelec ?

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 5 of 15 (1,714 Views)

Sorry, was busy and failed to send the script. Will do so shortly.

As for your additional questions...

A user can drag and drop directly into TRIM. This will bring in an MSG and not a VMBX. They could have also saved an email to their desktop/network and later imported them. In both cases it's just an MSG and not VMBX.

As for why there may be only VMBX and not MSG, maybe your system settings at one point didn't have "Advanced Long Term" format enabled for some period? That is what saves the MSG files.

Also with 7.3 and above everything is saved as EML and not VMBX/MSG.
Occasional Visitor
ChanderVijay
Message 6 of 15 (1,248 Views)

Hi! I am trying to extract VMBX file using TRIMPort and i want to convert that into .msg (outlook) format and open in browser.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Chander Vijay
HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 7 of 15 (1,245 Views)

VMBX is the format that TRIM uses and can only be viewed using the TRIM viewer, haven't heard of anyone being able to convert them to MSG files.

Normally you would need to create the VMBX and capture the MSG (native Outlook) at the same time. There is an option in the TRIM admin options that allows this.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Occasional Visitor
ChanderVijay
Message 8 of 15 (1,243 Views)

Thanks for your quick response.
Can TRIM Admin capture the MSG out of an existing VMBX file.
sorry for these question as i am not TRIM user and have assigned to extract these VMBX files using TrimPort and render into a browser. hence i am struggling on this.
ChanderV
HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 9 of 15 (1,240 Views)

Unfortunately not, the msg file needs to be captured at the time or record registration and is stored much like a rendition.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard**
Occasional Visitor
ChanderVijay
Message 10 of 15 (1,223 Views)

Thanks and for my situation, what is the best way to export these VMBX files from TRIM and  render that into a web browser or convert vmbx into a pdf?

Chander V

HP Expert
Greg Fraser_1
Message 11 of 15 (1,215 Views)

That I'm not too sure of.

You could try TRIM render.

Advisor
JohnHartley
Message 12 of 15 (1,207 Views)

VMBX files are just glorified text files.  You can open them in Notepad and read them directly.  The catch is if there are attachments. They are expanded into unreadable text (binhex).

I have a windows application which allows you to view a VMBX and either extract or launch any attachments.  Please direct message me if you would like to try it out.

Valued Contributor
Tamara Hoagland
Message 13 of 15 (1,136 Views)

ChanderVijay wrote:
Thanks for your quick response.
Can TRIM Admin capture the MSG out of an existing VMBX file.
sorry for these question as i am not TRIM user and have assigned to extract these VMBX files using TrimPort and render into a browser. hence i am struggling on this.
ChanderV

Chander,

You could also bring in the VMBX files back into Outlook and then re-catalog into TRIM, using the System Settings to capture MSG format. All suggested options will take some level of effort, but I have seen this process performed with positive results.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Tamara

Occasional Visitor
edwardca
Message 14 of 15 (814 Views)

We are currently migrating our TRIM files and I need a way of viewing the VMBX files with attachments outside of TRIM. Or converting them in some way to MSG

Can you help please
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 15 of 15 (803 Views)

I have a utility for converting them. Shoot me an email for more details: erik.willsey@kapishna.com
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.