Why is this integration always the weak spot (362 Views)
Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 1 of 7 (362 Views)

Why is this integration always the weak spot

I am a HP partner dealing with TRIM installs and upgrades for the past 3 years.. In all this time the TRIM/Outlook integration has always been the weak spot.

Just recently I have found it has gotten worse. Many clients experiencing add-in crashes. All previous fixes dont always work..

These are the general steps I usually undertake when troubleshooting Outlook integration issues. Just to be clear.

Ensure all prerequisites are installed on the target machine.

Disable and reenable the TRIM integration. 

Completely remove the TRIM integration from Outlook --> addins menu. Re add addin from TRIM

Finally take a copy of the adxloader.dll from a working machine and replace the one on the target machine.

Some of the crashes I have seen recently state "reference not set to an instance". I am not a coder by a far stretch but this sort of language seems to be a fatal flaw in the add-in logic and error trapping. 

Thoughts?

Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 2 of 7 (341 Views)

Re: Why is this integration always the weak spot

I feel your pain.  It's great when you can finish a site and there are no Outlook issues as you walk out the door.... though they always seem to creep up.

In HP's defense it's a complicated plugin.  Though it's amazing how other products dont' seem to fail as often.

HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 3 of 7 (332 Views)

I agree. It's been a pain to support for at least the last 10 years!

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Honored Contributor
TRIMGuru
Message 4 of 7 (324 Views)

Being a "Partner" only means that you may have spent money to be one and am able to say you are an "Official Partner", beyond that, you get/receive no more information than a client - e.g. you're on your own.

Most of us have been able to figure things out without any assistance from HP whatsoever though this forum, albeit unofficial, has definitely been beneficial for both clients and "partners".

Tis a shame HP doesn't support their partners with HP TRIM.

Super Advisor
JasonIMEX
Message 5 of 7 (320 Views)

Yep this forum is a great resource and generally the TRIM software itself is a strong performer.

Being local support for TRIM I see these issues crop up on a daily basis so in turn feel the need to vent on occation.

Often it feels and if I am on the front line when it comes to these sorts of issues. In the thick of it, to coin a phrase.

I think I likely keep some of the HP support crew employed with the amount of support requests I lodge on Clients behalf.

HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 6 of 7 (301 Views)

Yeah I think this forum is an invaluable resource for HP TRIM partners.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Respected Contributor
Philip Harney
Message 7 of 7 (283 Views)

I don't seem to get a lot of these issues reported to me, although I do some things when deploying, always make sure the older version of TRIM is removed (completely via scripts and a package) deploy all the pre-requites, clean up the registry of the machines, deploy trim (customised I hate trimautodeploy.exe being in the run function and everything turned off) clean up the users registry (specially old outlook keys from the old integration) logon script or group policy to call what I want on and who gets it.   

Although I did have some issues with  outlook being slow to open but HP seemed to have resolved that.   Maybe Im just lucky or maybe my customers don't call me with the issues.

I guess like DCI, TRIM render, Integrations I expect there to be issues and set the expectation to the customer and give them some basic trouble shooting before calling me. 

And I guess if in doubt post here someone will help you :) 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.