Re: Outlook "Out of Memory" issue (323 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Spauls
Message 1 of 7 (515 Views)

Outlook "Out of Memory" issue

Has anyone encountered a issue with Outlook running out of memory when an email archive program is also in use. We were told by our supplier that this is a known issue and the only way to fix is to turn off email archiver. This is not an option. It seems to be linked to the dll for the TRIM addin. Any help would be greatly appreciated, We are on 6.2.5.1335

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Grundy
Message 2 of 7 (484 Views)

Re: Outlook "Out of Memory" issue

How did you determine that a memory leak was being caused by the TRIM add-in?

We havn't seen any memory leaks, or is something else going on?

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

Kapish.com.au
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 3 of 7 (475 Views)

There is a known issue that gives this sort of error when the e-mail archiving system is Quest Archive Manager (formerly Aftermail) and you're trying to TRIM an e-mail that's already been archived:

QCCR2D45095 - Operation aborted message on cataloguing emails from Outlook, after being archived in Aftermail archive

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Neil Summers
Message 4 of 7 (407 Views)

[ Edited ]

Update: QCCR2D45095 has been closed by HP as they don't intend to fix the issue. Customers are advised to speak with their e-mail archiving vendor about why their product is causing the TRIM in Outlook add-in to fail.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HP.

(Please state the version of TRIM/HPRM you're using in all posts)

HP Software Support Online (SSO): http://support.openview.hp.com
Please use plain text.
Advisor
JaniKrippner
Message 5 of 7 (346 Views)

We are running:

TRIM 7.1.1.1821

Windows 7 SP1

Office 2010 SP1

Archive Manager

We are also getting the Outlook "Out of Memory" error message.

But our issue is arising when users do a search in Outlook for an email and try to click on the stub of the archived email.

i.e. Nothing at all to do with TRIM!

Turning off the TRIM add-in in Outlook resolves the issue.

What I would like to know is what is TRIM doing in Outlook when a search is being done? An email search has nothing to do with TRIM. We have tested this on a freshly reimaged machine, no document queues set up, no other links between Outlook and TRIM apart from the Add-in, and can consistently replicate the issue and the fact that turning off the TRIM add-in fixes the problem.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
EWillsey
Message 6 of 7 (342 Views)

The TRIM integration isn't actually doing anything in particular when a search is executed within Outlook.  However, the TRIM integration is using the Outlook Explorer and Inspector classes (part of the Outlook Object model) to determine how the buttons on the toolbar or tabs should change based on the currently selected item.  When you initiate a search this will fire off events to the explorer and inspector classes and I bet that's where things start getting stuffed up.

Since you're using an archival tool the integration may be running into conflicts or a ton of calls from the API.  Not sure exactly but just speculating.  There are known issues with some third party integrations (like archiving tools).

Your best course of action is to put in a support ticket and see what HP can determine for you.  Outside of that, turn on verbose integration logging and see what it's actually doing during that search.  Lastly, upgrade to the latest version.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Erik

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JaniKrippner
Message 7 of 7 (323 Views)

Thanks Erik, that certainly explains why TRIM integration is stuffing up the searching in Outlook.

Thanks for the help.

Jani

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation