Is there a robust way to capture bulk email using Outlook linked folders or an alternative app? (215 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Steve Macukat
Message 1 of 3 (215 Views)

Is there a robust way to capture bulk email using Outlook linked folders or an alternative app?

[ Edited ]

We're using Trim-in Outlook (TIA) linked folders to capture a very large volume of email being directed to two Outlook / Exchange accounts.  It takes most of the working day to clear the backlog from the previous 24 hours. 

We're handling the workload, but the (TIA) linked folders require constant monitoring. Sometimes they will run for 10 minutes before stopping, sometimes we'll get a good 4 hours of processing.

Mostly we receive no error.  The process will just stop processing.  Its as if someone is pressing the Cancel button, but we've eliminated that as a possibility.

We've had a few errors occur more than once but there's not much of a pattern;

• "The operation failed " (this is the most common)
  • "Error in _HrGetIDsFromNames - IMAPIProp == NULL"
  • "COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW cannot be used"
  • Plus Outlook "Out-of-memory" errors (only occurs with this exercise - its using 450k of 2G RAM with no other apps running).

Out specs are;

• Trim 7.10 #1157  32-bit
  • MS Outlook 2010
  • MS Exchange 2007
  • Windows 7 SP1 32-bit

We're also trying Trim7.3.3 #5670 connected to our 7.10 server just for this process.  Its a little bit more reliable but otherwise displays the same behaviour.

I accept we're probably pushing the limit of what the linked folders feature was designed to handle.

Is there a more robust way to run Trim-in-Outlook linked folders?  Is there a work-around, or has someone designed an SDK application perhaps?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
brian-b
Message 2 of 3 (173 Views)

Re: Is there a robust way to capture bulk email using Outlook linked folders or an alternative app?

Hi Steve,

We're on 7.12.1879 and I've seen the Out-of-Memory error when a user is attempting to catalog a message with a huge list of names in the To: field. The integration just chokes.  In those cases I ask the user to set it in a TO Be Cataloged folder and we process it separately later.

One thing we've done is to route the messages with a rule into a Linked Folder so that the integration is handling them one at a time as they arrive instead of en masse. We have users who link their Inboxes this way.

Brian

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Steve Macukat
Message 3 of 3 (155 Views)

Re: Is there a robust way to capture bulk email using Outlook linked folders or an alternative app?

Thanks Brian.  I'm finding the Linked Folder process doesn't run when we move an email using an Outlook rule.  We need to run Clear Backlog each time the process stops.

I wonder if anyone has created a macro to run the Clear Blacklog process periodically?

For example, every 15 minutes a macro would replicate the key strokes necessary to;

1. Choose the Outlook Add-ins Tab (press X)
  2. Choose the HP TRIM Menu (press M2)
  3. Clear Backlog (press B).

If this was MSWord I could use the "Record Macro" button.  The only way to create a macro for Outlook is to code it, which is beyond my expertise.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation