Re: SureStore DVD server under XP-P? (250 Views)
Advisor
Woodsroad
Message 1 of 9 (250 Views)
Accepted Solution

SureStore DVD server under XP-P?

Hello,
I'd appreciate any helpful info on getting a SureStore DVD server J1452A recognized on a XP-P box.
I've tried mapping a drive letter using the \\HP hhhhhh\root, where hhhhhh are the last six digits of the server’s LAN hardware (MAC) address. But the address on the SureStore came back unrecognized. I did see the network activity LED activate while it was being searched. And the same happened when I ran the JetAdmin util.
The IP address is printed on the box, but the server does not come up when this is typed into a browser window.

So, is there another way to get to this box? Another way to discover the MAC, or access the server page? Anyway to get it recognized under XP-P?

Thanks,

Dan

Advisor
Woodsroad
Message 2 of 9 (250 Views)

Re: SureStore DVD server under XP-P?

OK, I confirmed the MAC by pulling the server box out and looking at the lable. OK there.
I ran Web JetAdmin, and it did discover the MAC, but did not list the device per se.

Any ideas on getting to the server s/w so that I can set the IP address? or any other way to "see" this box in XP?

Thanks,

Dan
Advisor
Woodsroad
Message 3 of 9 (250 Views)

OK, I figured this out on my own:

run: cmd
arp -s

then:
ping
The ping command
enables the server to assign itself the address

See HP document lpg28192.pdf for more complete information.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28192/lpg28192.pdf

Now to bust the old (unknown) password....
Frequent Advisor
BR742453
Message 4 of 9 (250 Views)

Hi Dan,

Depending on what firmware is running on the DVD server it can be accessed through XP. HP never supported XP in the firmware.

Axis Communications (from whom HP OEM'd the server modules of these units) released a new firmware a "few days ago" (11-14-2001): version 5.33.
The major improvement: IT SUPPORTS WINDOWS XP !! (also RedHat 7.x & more, check releasenotes)

The latest version is 5.38.6 from Nov 9 2004.

HP doesn't support this (since these units have been obsoleted at firmware version 5.32), but I tried it a long time ago and it works. All HP's previous firmwares were an alomost exact copy of the Axis ones anyway...

So if you want to use the DVD-Tower in combination with XP, you can check the following link for the Axis firmware:

http://www.axis.com/techsup/cdsrv/cd_e100/index.htm

You need to register to be able to download the firmware. (sorry cant attache it is more then 5MB total)

Merry X-Mas and a Happy new year,

SCOOTER

Zo, dat was dan dat.
Advisor
Woodsroad
Message 5 of 9 (250 Views)

Thanks, Scooter, this will help.
First, though, I have to get the password reset.
I sat on hold with HP for 45 minutes yesterday. I'm glad that I'm not paying their WATTS bill!
I'll report back with a full write up when I get everything going.

Again, that's a big help, Scooter.
Thanks,

Dan
Frequent Advisor
BR742453
Message 6 of 9 (250 Views)

Dan,

Hmmm the reset procedure is the following if I'm not wrong, there was soething with the procedure in the manual that was wrong or for a different model:

* Turn off the CD Server..
* Press and hold the Reset button while you switch on the CD Server. Keep the Reset button pressed until the Status indicator flashes at regular two second intervals.
* Release the Reset button and wait at least two seconds (one flash of the Status indicator).
* Press and hold the Reset button again for at least five seconds until the Status indicator remains constantly lit (orange).
* The end result is that the Reset button is released and the Status indicator is steady orange
* Power off the CD Server ... and power on as normal

Now all configuration (including IP address) are erased, so start with ARP-S command to assign a new IP address to the DVD-server.

Best Regards,

SCOOTER
Zo, dat was dan dat.
Advisor
Woodsroad
Message 7 of 9 (250 Views)

RTFM!
Why didn't I see that? Probably because I'm working on six different things at once here. Thanks, Scooter. That did it.

Now to resolve why traffic is so slow from this machine.

-Dan
Advisor
Woodsroad
Message 8 of 9 (250 Views)

OK, I reset the box using the method described above.
Reset the IP address using arp -s.
Got the new firmware installed from http://www.axis.com/techsup/cdsrv/cd_e100/index.htm
via ftp.
Logged into the server and it's config pages from a web browser using the new IP.
Reset the workgroup to one on my network.
The SureStore server now shows up on the network, but get the following error message when I try to access it:

\\hp27f117 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The account is not authorized to log in from this station

I have enabled share-level security (default).

What next?

Thanks again

Frequent Advisor
BR742453
Message 9 of 9 (250 Views)

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the late reply, I have checked all my documentation for this issue but came up with nothing. Only references to accessright problems in NetWare and PureIP environments and multi-user cd's.

Sorry I'm lost here.

Best Regards,

SCOOTER
Zo, dat was dan dat.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.