Maximum Boot Partition (5581 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Thaaqib Talbot
Message 1 of 3 (5,581 Views)

Maximum Boot Partition

I am building a linux server which is going to act as a virtual host on a hp dl 380 G5. We have 8 72G drives that are in a RAID 10 configuration.There is also 16G's of RAM on this guy. I am trying to find out is it best to disable the max boot partition(4g max) or enable it (8g max) and what are the benefits of either.

Thank you,

Thaaqib
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Fernando Cabal
Message 2 of 3 (5,581 Views)

Re: Maximum Boot Partition

Hello

There is no advantage in having a huge boot partition. The only files that will grow in the /boot partition will be Kernel files or boot loader files and only when you install newer versions.

On the disk partitioning side, do not let the Linux installer create partitions for you automatically, choose the advanced or expert disk partition mode. I suggest you create partitions on Linux as follows:

1 primary partition for the /boot, at least 100Mb. No need for a huge partition here but you could give it some more , for the future.... I do not see why someone would need over 1024MB

1 primary partition for the swap, 8gb should be more than enough but you can match the RAM size or RAM size * 1.5.

1 primary partition for the / (root file-system) with 10 Gb.

1 primary partition LVM type with the rest of the disk space: create LVM Phisical volumes and Logical volumes for mounting directories that may need larger disk space such as the /var , /opt , /srv , etc...

Cheers!
Fernando.

LVM How-to http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
DragomirAtea
Message 3 of 3 (5,581 Views)

Re: Maximum Boot Partition

Hi Thaaqib

If you choose not to enable max boot, the maximum size of that logical unit is 512 GB.

If you enable it the maximum size is 2 TB

Regards
Dragomir
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation