tiff compression (598 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Joyce Gross
Message 1 of 8 (598 Views)

tiff compression

Is there a way to change the tiff compression from jpeg to something else (CCIT Group 4, LZW, etc.) in the Digital Sender 9200C?

I use the DS mainly for creating tiffs. The tiffs from the 9100C were just fine. But now I have the newer 9200C, and almost none of the programs with which I read the tiffs can read them. It makes no sense to me to have JPEG compression for a TIFF -- especially when the TIFF then cannot be read by PhotoShop, Imagemagick, PNM Utilities, etc..

Thanks -- I have looked everywhere in the software to try to change the tiff compression but if that option is there I can't find it.

I'm running firmware version 09.051.7.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Joyce Gross
Message 2 of 8 (598 Views)

Re: tiff compression

I forgot to add that the unreadable JPEG-compressed tiffs are color tiffs -- the b/w tiffs are not JPEG-compressed and are readable.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Todd Christopher Hamilt
Message 3 of 8 (598 Views)

Joyce,

I am running into the very same issue. Actually that is why I searched on this forum. What are your plans for working around this issue?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kevin Brisson
Message 4 of 8 (598 Views)

The 9200C produces JFIF (JPEG) compressed image type for TIFF or MTIFF on all color or B/W mixed scans. When you select B/W with the content set to TEXT the 9200C produces a G4 compressed 1 bit per pixel image type TIFF or MTIFF. G4 will not compress color and LZW is not supported by the 9200C currently.

If you need to open a TIFF in Photoshop created by your 9200C then check your current firmware version. Versions 09.031.9 or later support Post TIFF 6.0 option in the TIFF file type selection that has corrections for the colorspace issue.

HP ScanJet software have LZW for color compression but thats not installed on the 9200C or 9100C.

The 9100C also had issues with TIFF 6.0 compressed color scans but it depends on the application used to open the file. True B/W scans are not an issue nor are uncompressed TIFFs.

To get newer firmware and the newer TIFF spec:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=428009&p...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Joyce Gross
Message 5 of 8 (598 Views)

Todd,

You can get uncompressed tiffs ONLY if you 1) use workflows, and 2) don't need anything larger than 300dpi for b/w scans, or larger than 150dpi for color scans.

To use workflows, you have to use the Digital Sender Software, not the web software that you can also use to configure the scanner. (The web interface doesn't let you set workflows.)

If you need more info, let me know. Once you start playing with workflows you should be able to find where you can select uncompressed tiffs. If not, I can send the sequence of clicks when I'm in the office next and have the DSS software in front of me.

A note about my use of the tiffs: I run OCR on the tiffs, and it's not at all ideal to get only 150dpi for color scans. It would be highly useful if HP would implement 300dpi uncompressed color tiff capability with this scanner. LZW compressed tiffs would work also. JPEG compressed tiffs are not very useful.

Good luck.

Joyce
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
readimage
Message 6 of 8 (564 Views)

not very wise on jpeg to tiff compression vb.net. i have been using a software that is not only read or create tiff filesw but compress and decompress tiff files in batch. check out.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
arronlee
Message 7 of 8 (448 Views)

But I am working on C#.NET platform. How about the Tiff compressor for C#.NET? I am testing about the related programs these days. I want to look for a fine professional 3rd party Tiff compressor whose way of processing is simple and fast to help me with the related work. It will be better if it is totally manual and can be customized by users according to our own favors. Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Arron

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Nana111
Message 8 of 8 (361 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there

I have encountered the similar questions.I tried to compress the tiff files using this code which is from google :,but it can not work.What's wrong with my code?Thanks for any suggestions.

/// <summary>
/// Create Tiff page with specified compression
/// </summary>
/// <param name="img"></param>
/// <param name="compression"></param>
/// <returns></returns>
public TIFFPage CreateTIFFPageWithCompression(REImage img, TIFFCompression compression)
{

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation