Re: Digital Sending Software Closing (197 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Michael Inforzato
Message 1 of 4 (241 Views)

Digital Sending Software Closing

One of my servers with DSS version 4.12.4 (I have 8 running) will not function. It is running fine as a service but when we try to open Digital Sending software it gets to loading MFP data then closes. It also kills the HP MFP Digital sending service which I have to restart. This also happens when I try to connect to this DSS server from another server. I can connect to other servers from the original so I do not think it is a problem with the software. The last thing I did was copy the database to a test server and the did work. Any suggestions on fixing my current issue? Thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joe Atnip
Message 2 of 4 (241 Views)

Re: Digital Sending Software Closing

I had this same problem a few months ago. I had to uninstall the DSS software on the server, reboot, & reinstall the DSS software. This fixed the problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
gblackbox
Message 3 of 4 (213 Views)

I realize this is an old thread, but I've been able to track down a possible solution that has worked for me, and figured I'd share for those that may bump into this issue in the future. 

HP MFP Digital Sending Software - Configuration utility fails to Launch in DSS version 4.20 or earlier

Issue:

When attempting to open the configuration utility (CU) in DSS version 4.20 and earlier the following symptom is noticed:

• When attempting to open the CU the splash screen, which says Loading MFP Data... appears on the screen for a short period of time and then disappears without giving any error message.

Once this issue occurs it is not intermittent, it happens every time until the workaround is applied.

This issue is most likely to occur when there are many service log files in the service folder under the directory C:\Program files, Hewlett Packard, HP Digital Sending Software, log . This is a memory related issue where a Microsoft component conflicts with DSS. This issue will occur on some instances of DSS but not others based on the location of memory allocated to hold the log files within DSS’s total memory space.

This issue may occur in DSS version 4.20 or earlier but is most likely to occur in 4.18 and 4.20.

Workaround:

Delete the log files from the C:\Program files, Hewlett Packard, HP Digital Sending Software, log, service directory . This will allow the CU to launch, however once the number of log files start increasing, the issue may reoccur.

Long term Solution:

The long term solution is to upgrade the DSS software to version 4.91. The DSS version 4.91 is expected to be released in the month of January 2011.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
KevinAtHP
Message 4 of 4 (197 Views)

For the long term solution there is new software available now:

HP has released a new version of the Digital Sending Software (DSS) 5.01.  It is available for download at www.hp.com/go/dss.  There are also some technical documents available to help with the migration from earlier versions of DSS to the newest DSS 5.01 - from the main DSS web page, select DSS suport, then "manuals" on the pane on the right side.

This new version of DSS supports Windows 2008 and 2012 servers, new HP MFP devices and many enhancements including:

- Scan to multiple folders at the same time

- Scan to MS SharePoint

- Enchanced templates capabilities - easy configuration of groups of devices

- various performance improvements

If you are loading DSS on a new server, you will need to contact the HP Licensing group at www.hp.com/software/licensing to reassign the MAC address of your new server to your device licenses.

Download it now for free and take advantage of all the work HP has put into this new version .

Happy Digital Sending...

I work for HP. The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.
I work for HP. The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation