Re: Digital Send Server is not responding - hp LaserJet 4345mfp (2856 Views)
Occasional Contributor
BigDog972
Message 1 of 7 (2,862 Views)
Accepted Solution

Digital Send Server is not responding - hp LaserJet 4345mfp

When you press the Folder icon on the mfp4345 control panel an error message appears stating ... DigitalSend Server is not responding. When you print out the configuration page from the mfp4345 ... under [Installed Personalities and Options] the line item titled "hp MFP Digital Sending Server:" has a value of 127.0.0.1. The mfp4345 has an IP address of 192.168.1.152. The DSS 4.91.21 software is on a Windows 7 box with an IP address of 192.168.1.106. The Firmware Datecode for the mfp4345 is 20110429 09.260.9.

I think the address for the line item titled "hp MFP Digital Sending Server:" should be 192.168.1.106 not 127.0.0.1. If so, how
do I change that value? I have tried uninstalling and re-installing the DSS software and the problem is still there. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 2 of 7 (2,856 Views)

Re: Digital Send Server is not responding - hp LaserJet 4345mfp

You are right.  127.0.x.x is a local IP address which means that no IP Address has been assigned for that value.

The printer will not know how to find the DSS Server on its own.  You could try to go through the EWS and configure it online but that defeats the purpose of setting up and using DSS.  Instead you should work through your DSS Server to find your printer.  Once the connection has been established on the DSS Server your printer will display the correct information. 

Is DSS reporting a successful connection in the Configuration Utility?  If not then you might want to remake that printers connection or create a brand new one with the correct credentials until DSS is working correctly.  If DSS is reporting a successful connection then make sure you have the Scan to Folder option configured and enabled.

Kudo's appreciated : ) (The purple star under my UserName)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
BigDog972
Message 3 of 7 (2,848 Views)

Thanks for the ideas.  I have tried the EWS (Embedded Web Server) approach first with no success.  Under the main tab of “Digital Sending” and then trying to open “Send to Network Folder” I receive the following message:

The device is being serviced by the Digital Sending Software at 127.0.0.1. Please use Windows Configuration Utility to configure the device”.

ews.gif

For that matter, I receive the same response when I tried the "Addressing" and/or "Send E-mail" Tabs.

Inside of the HP 4.91 configuration utility, when I added the device, it was recognized and was listed under the “Device Configuration” tab.  When I click on the “configure device” button, I was able to place a check mark next to the “Enable Save to Network Folder” choice.  This resulted in there being a “green” check mark under the icon column labeled “Send to Folder” under the “Device Configuration” tab.

Configuration Utility.gif

As additional information, this is being setup on a simple network with just two Windows 7 PC’s and the mfp4345.  There is no e-mail server or domain controller.   The purpose is to take advantage of the scanning capability of the hp4345.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 4 of 7 (2,845 Views)

Nice screenshots!  I can see you have the basic configuration steps taken care of. 

I would try deleting your entry in DSS next.  Wait for the printer to reset itself and print off a report to confirm that the 127.0.x.x IP has gone away.   Doublecheck your IPAddresses (printer and server) and then recreate the DSS entry and see if the printer can correctly identify the server. 

If its still holding onto this value then you will have to try to Cold Reset the printer.  Let me know if you need the steps on how to do this.  After you Cold Reset the printer it will most likely have a new IP assigned to it so make sure you capture it in DSS.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
BigDog972
Message 5 of 7 (2,828 Views)

I tried the first item "deleting your entry in DSS" and reset the printer.  The address changed to 0.0.0.0 on the mfp4345 in the "hp MFP Digital Sending Server :0.0.0.0" section.  However, as soon as the device was added to the "Device configuration" tab within the "HP Digital Sending Software Configuration" program (screen shot in previous post) the 127.0.0.1 returned on the mfp4345 and the device error "Digital Send Server is not responding" on the mfp4345 was displayed.

Tried the "Cold Reset" to the printer.  Which changed the HP4345 IP address to 192.168.1.140.  So, I deleted the old entry and added the printer in the "Device Configuration" tab ... Unfortunately the same error "Digital Send Server is not responding" on the mfp4345 was displayed.

I also uninstalled and then re-installed the HP 4.91.21 software for both of the above items.

I also tried to configure the mfp4345 through EWS (Embedded Web Server).  That works just fine. The mfp4345 can scan and move documents to the correct folders on the two Windows 7 PC's.  

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
BigDog972
Message 6 of 7 (2,822 Views)

Next Day ... Since there were two Windows 7 PC's connected to the mfp 4345, I decided to try installing the HP 4.91.21 software on the 2nd Windows 7 PC.  The software installed and worked perfectly!  I could easily configure the mfp 4345 without any problems and of course the "hp MFP Digital Sending Server" showed a 192.168.1.25 ... the correct address of the second PC.

Just as additional information ... I did have an VPN connection to my office at the time I was installing the HP software on the first PC that caused the problem.  My thinking, is that possibly this caused the mfp not to respond to the HP Digital software.  I did notice in the "About" tab that the address was 10.10.100.3 an address that is assigned to you when you VPN to the office server.

I do appreciate all your assistance in trying to help me resolve this problem.  Thanks once again.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
John Getzke
Message 7 of 7 (2,679 Views)

I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve your problem.  I wouldn't have thought to ask about a VPN connection for your troubleshooting but that does seem to fit all the syptoms you have described.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation