DSS Authentication Unexpected Failure (676 Views)
Advisor
Jeffry A Spain
Message 1 of 6 (676 Views)
Accepted Solution

DSS Authentication Unexpected Failure

We have 14 digital senders including LJ 4345, M4345, and 4730 mfps interacting with a Windows 2003 server running DSS 4.11.11.

Most of the time everything works perfectly. Periodically we find that no users can log onto any of the mfps. The error message is "DSS Authentication Unexpected Failure." When this happens, the DSS configuration application on the server is unable to connect to the DSS service. In the event log there are multiple error events from the HPMfpDigitalSendingSoftware with id 570 "HP MFP Digital Sending Software 4.11.11 internal error. Location: dsmpmain @ 234. Windows system error number: 0. Windows system error message: The operation completed successfully. Support hint: Unexpected exception when attempting to start DSMP server."

When this happens, the only remedy we have found is to restart the DSS and MSSQL services or reboot the server.

This problem was happening several times per day until last week when we decided to erase and reload the server running the DSS software. We thought that perhaps the database had become corrupted. Since reloading, the problem has recurred for the first time after 10 days of operation.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 2 of 6 (674 Views)

Re: DSS Authentication Unexpected Failure

upgrade to DSS 4.12.4 as it may have some fixes that will help.

4.11.11 had some problems, including errors like yours in the event log.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jeffry A Spain
Message 3 of 6 (674 Views)

Thanks. I'll install the new version and post the results.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 4 of 6 (674 Views)

Just an extra note ... when I installed 4.12.4 over top of my 4.11.11, the install didn't work the first time. It acted like it did, but wasn't right. Running the install a second time finished it up right and my 4.12.4 seems to be working very well at the moment.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jeffry A Spain
Message 5 of 6 (674 Views)

I'm not aware of any problems so far following the installation earlier this afternoon, but will keep an eye on it.

I did notice as the installer was running a message about installing both MSDE 2000 and SQL Express 2005. Not sure what that's all about. MSDE 2000 was installed when I did the clean install of 4.11.11. Do you know whether or not 4.12.4 installs SQL Express 2005 during a clean install? Or whether it can be made to work with a prior installation of SQL Express 2005, or perhaps a remote instance of SQL 2005 Standard? Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
trecowan
Message 6 of 6 (401 Views)

I'm seeing the same Event ID 570 error for version 4.25.32.  Next steps?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation