Re: DSS 4.3.5 to 4.7.6 update (287 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Panagiotis Kostouros
Message 1 of 5 (287 Views)
Accepted Solution

DSS 4.3.5 to 4.7.6 update

I own DSS 4.3.5 and I'd like to know if I can update/upgrade to 4.7.6 version and how. I've download 4.7.6 demo version. Can I install it and use my old licence?
Frequent Advisor
john mancuso
Message 2 of 5 (287 Views)

Re: DSS 4.3.5 to 4.7.6 update

The Software does say it is a demo but when you add a digital sender into the mfp list the software becomes a full version. If you just install the new version over your old version you should not loose any of your settings. You can use the same licence as long as you are using the same NIC card on the computer. The license should migrate like your settings to the new version.
Occasional Contributor
Panagiotis Kostouros
Message 3 of 5 (287 Views)

Dear John, thank you very much for your answer. I've install the new version and everything seems to be OK but I see no difference in DSS menu. Do you even know where can I find what's new in 4.7.6 version?
Thanks again.
Honored Contributor
Kevin Brisson
Message 4 of 5 (287 Views)

From 4.3.5 of DSS to 4.7.6 I don't expect you will see too much new in the menus. The minor revisions to the Configuration utility or service are included in README.txt after install. New features are listed online at HP.com as well.

What were you looking for?

Here is what is new since your previous version.

1. New Features in DSS 4.6

1.1 - Integrated Backup/Restore Settings
Added the ability to backup DSS settings for disaster recovery.

NOTE: This function is intended backup and restore like DSS versions. For example, you can backup DSS 4.6 and restore the files to DSS 4.6. HP does not recommend restoring files from different DSS versions. For example, do not restore DSS 4.6 backup files to DSS 4.7.

To perform a backup follow these steps:

- Launch the DSS Configuration Utility
- Select the Preferences tab
- Select the "Save Settings" button
- Select "Yes" to allow the Configuration Utility to be closed for the
backup
- Select the "Backup" radio button
- Note the "Location of Backup:". (By default, the location is
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard)
- Select "OK"
- After the "DSS BAckup operation was successful" message, a DSSBACKUPDIR
folder containing backup files should exist in the backup location

To recover using backup files:

- Launch the DSS Configuration Utility
- Select the Preferences tab
- Select the "Save Settings" button
- Select "Yes" to allow the Configuration Utility to be closed for the
backup
- Select the "Restore from Previous Backup" radio button
- Note that the "Location of previous Backup:" (By default, the location
is C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard) is where DSS will attempt to
locate the backup files.
- Select "OK"
- After the "DSS Restore operation was successful" message is cleared, it
should be safe to open the Configuration Utility and use normally.

1.2 - Ability to enable/disable Metadata file generation
The ability for users to name workflow output files makes use of a metadata
prompt setup by the DSS Admin. DSS 4.5 generated a metadata file regardless of whether other usable metadata was being collected. This caused unneeded metadata files which needed to be manually deleted. DSS administrators may now choose whether a metadata file should be created, eliminating unnecessary files.

1.3 - Added Castelle FaxPress Premier and Captaris RightFAX 8.7 to the list of supported LANFax solutions

1.4 - Added ability to specify default file resolution with Workflow
Previous versions of DSS used fixed resolutions that varied according to the selected output file format. DSS 4.6 gives administrators control over scan resolution.

1.5 - Fixed send-to-printer pagesize issue
Versions 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 of DSS included a pagesize mapping feature that attempted to insure scanned jobs generated by send-to-printer would match
actual paper sizes in the destination printer. This feature did not account for metric paper sizes and resulted in prompts to load Letter or Legal paper although the scanned image was A4 and A4 paper was loaded. Pagesize mapping is disabled for send-to-printer in DSS 4.6.

1.6 - Fixed image scaling issue with Castelle FaxPress
In previous versions of DSS where customers had recently upgraded to the latest version of Castelle FaxPress, fax images appeared shrunken. A change of default resolution in DSS 4.6 from Fine to SuperFine for Castelle FaxPress resolves this issue.

2. New Features in DSS 4.5

2.1 - User-specified output file-naming with Workflow
Previous versions of DSS 4 auto-generated unique output filenames. DSS 4.5 will continue
to allow this, but will also enable Admins to setup prompting for user-provided filenames.

2.2 - Improved file compression options for Workflow and OCR
Addition of MTIFF 6.0 support provides compression with the TIFF file format. Previous
versions of DSS locked in Color for OCR input. While color scanning does provide greater
ability for color background separation, improving OCR performance, it also results in large
OCR output files. Customers may now select Black & White scanning for OCR for smaller output
files.

2.3 - Added "SenderAddress" field to metadata file
Addition of "SenderAddress" field to metadata file provides backwards compatibility for
customer workflows based on 9100c solution. Enables easier transition to HP 9200c Digital
Sender.

3. New Features in DSS 4.4

3.1 - Added ability to search multiple LDAP Bind/Search roots for LDAP Authentication
Although LDAP Authentication has worked well in the past, DSS was unable to support a
user environment where users exist in different LDAP containers. DSS 4.4 duplicates
functionality included in Embedded Send to Network Folder and allows searching multiple
LDAP Bind/Search roots. To utilize this feature, enter multiple bind roots separated by
the pipe (|) character.

3.2 - Added ability to specify bind prefix for LDAP Authentication
LDAP Authentication is performed by passing the user's distinguished name (DN) as part
of an LDAP Bind operation. Following is a sample user DN:

CN=john.doe@somecompany.com,OU=US,OU=Accounts,DC=somecompany,DC=net

In the example, "CN=" is the bind prefix. In previous DSS releases, the bind prefix was
assumed to be "CN=" unless the user specified something different when logging in at
the MFP front panel (example: "UID=john.doe@somecompany.com"). In DSS 4.4, the DSS Admin
may set the bind prefix to any value so the user would only need to enter
"john.doe@somecompany.com" at the front panel.

3.3 - Improved send-to-workflow support for the HP 4100mfp and 9000mfp
Latest firmware (version 3.803.6) for the HP 4100mfp and 9000mfp enables these devices to
work with DSS's send-to-workflow feature. DSS 4.3 provided limited support, only allowing
these devices to participate in "Common MFP Group". DSS 4.4 enables these devices to
function with custom workflow groups.

3.4 - No longer leave SQL Svr Mgr icon on system tray
In DSS 4.3, HP introduced a SQL component. Following installation of DSS 4.3, a SQL Server
Manager icon would be left on the system tray, although it provided no functionality with
DSS. In DSS 4.4, this icon is automatically cleaned up following installation.

3.5 - Fixed Issues in Authentication
Resolved issues with LDAP and Windows SPNEGO authentication methods where spaces
in username cause authentication failure.

© 2006 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
Occasional Contributor
Panagiotis Kostouros
Message 5 of 5 (287 Views)

Dear Kevin, thank you very much for your answer. It was very helpful. I'm not looking for something special.
""3.4 - No longer leave SQL Svr Mgr icon on system tray. In DSS 4.3, HP introduced a SQL component. Following installation of DSS 4.3, a SQL Server Manager icon would be left on the system tray, although it provided no functionality with DSS. In DSS 4.4, this icon is automatically cleaned up following installation."" This icon still remains to my system tray after 4.7 installation, but this is not a problem of course...
Many many thanks!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.