9100C setup issue- Email server not available (253 Views)
Occasional Visitor
TriCityHomeTeam
Message 1 of 6 (253 Views)

9100C setup issue- Email server not available

I am setting up a 9100C at our office. We are on Charter business internet. Even though no one in the office uses the email account (everyone either uses gmail or their own email servers) I was told to use "smtp.charterinternet.com" in the Email Settings section under SMTP Gateway Server Name or IP Address. All this is being setup through my browser after I input the sender's address and :4242. I've followed the directions on the website at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=... I think, but I still get the error message "Email server not available- contact Administrator. Help would be appreciated. I am setting the machine up as a stand-alone (I think I can do this?) and configuring it through my laptop browser using XP.
I also enabled DNS Domain, enabled WINS domain, and enabled DNS/WINS Name to IP Address Cache.
Thanks!
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 2 of 6 (253 Views)

Re: 9100C setup issue- Email server not available

>I was told to use "smtp.charterinternet.com" in the Email Settings section

This only works if Charter business Internet says you can. I.e. they may not want to be a spam relay.
Occasional Visitor
TriCityHomeTeam
Message 3 of 6 (253 Views)

I called into them and that's what they told me to use. And the problem isn't that they're blocking Port 25; I tried it with Port 587 too...
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 4 of 6 (253 Views)

>I called into them and that's what they told me to use. And the problem isn't that they're blocking Port 25; I tried it with Port 587 too.

Did they say which port?
Also, do you have outlook or outlook express configured to send mail there? If you can get that working from your PC, you have a better chance from your 9100C.
Occasional Visitor
Fernand Majid
Message 5 of 6 (253 Views)

Dennis, I've seen you comment in a few threads about changing the port number, but no definitive answer. Is there a way to specify a port other than 25? We have Rogers as an ISP in one of our offices, and we cannot send to email from that 9200c. There is no input field (from what I can tell) to specify another port. Any answer?
Occasional Contributor
Todd Lawrence
Message 6 of 6 (253 Views)

I'm having the same problem. Did you reach a resolution?
I set up Outlook with the above listed settings (using both of the SMTP servers), and I can send and receive without any problems. Must just be a setting on the 9100C that it doesn't like.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.