migration of Turbo image to oracle. (292 Views)
Occasional Advisor
macase
Message 1 of 9 (292 Views)

migration of Turbo image to oracle.

Oracle provides the migration of allbase/sql to oracle. Is there any similar migration for turbo image? or the allbase/sql ->oracle migration can be used for Image databases too.

I could not find a way to post this on the oracle site. may be some some from here will be able to shed some light on this.

thanks,
Frequent Advisor
Gary Tinnes
Message 2 of 9 (292 Views)

Re: migration of Turbo image to oracle.

Check out this product from MB Foster a platinum partner:

http://www.mbfoster.com/pdf/Products/MBF-UDACentral.pdf

Other solution providers can be found here:

http://www.hp.com/products1/evolution/e3000/download/migrationofferings.pdf
Occasional Advisor
macase
Message 3 of 9 (292 Views)

Hi Gary,

the first link provided uses ODBC/JDBC. Using the ODBC is very slow and network dependend. the ODBCs do not use the compression while transfering. If you know any ODBC which uses the compression while sending from the host(MPE/ix Image) and decompress on the client, it will be some improvement. it would be great, if there is a solution which puts the Image datasets into flatfiles, we will compress them and use FTP to bring on client.

thanks,
Frequent Advisor
Gary Tinnes
Message 4 of 9 (292 Views)

I was assuming this is a one way/one time migration to Oracle. How big is the dataabse? ODBC/JDBC is probably not as fast as proprietary native access but, if it is a one time thing, some overhead should be tolerable (unless you are planning to refresh an Oracle database from TurboImage on a regular basis and need to meet a processing window).

Check out some of the other vendors, such as Speedware or Denkart, they have tools and might use their own proprietary software.

Good Luck!
Honored Contributor
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Message 5 of 9 (292 Views)

Are you just migrating a Turbo image db or an application too ?

I once helped porting a big application from MPE to VMS/Oracle. Wrote programs to do dbinfo and write the db "record formatted" to tape. The dbinfo program also created all the record layouts for Oracle. Then we transported the tape to VMS, read the data (with programs generated based upon the dbinfo dictionary) and injected it in Oracle.

We also wrote a simplified image like interface (DBGET, DBPUT, ...). After some adjustments of the sources (because port to VMS and simplified image support), the programs ran. And are now running on VMS/Oracle since 15 years.

Wim
Wim
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 6 of 9 (292 Views)

macase,

First, welcome to the MPEForum.
Second, I'd also recommend you look at the products from Taurus Software. They along with Quest have a product called DataBridger which migrates files fairly cleanly.

My $.03 for inflation...

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Respected Contributor
Vicente Sanchez_3
Message 7 of 9 (292 Views)

Hello,

If you are only planning to migrate data, I agree with Chuck, Databridge is a fine solution. We are using it.

Regards, Vicente.
Occasional Advisor
macase
Message 8 of 9 (292 Views)

Thanks to all,

The info provided was usefull. we are exploring the bridgeware from quest also.

Occasional Visitor
Sheikh Raza
Message 9 of 9 (292 Views)

Hello everyone,

I have a migration project to complete
Transferring the data from hp-3000 turboimage to oracle
Presently Iâ m using HP reflection to download the file from hp 3000 to my local server and using informatica power center to load that data in target.
I have lots of dependencies on hp 3000 team where the issues arises , I wanted to eliminate the dependency by getting the data directly from turbo image.
Wanted to have a confirmation is possible to user informatica power exchange.
Will it be possible to connect turboimage database using informatica power exchange.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.