Oracle 10g RAC on Tru64 5.1Bpk4 with NetRAIN (313 Views)
Honored Contributor
Rob Leadbeater
Message 1 of 8 (313 Views)

Oracle 10g RAC on Tru64 5.1Bpk4 with NetRAIN

Hi,

Firstly apologies if you've seen this before. This is a copy of a message sent to the Tru64 manager's mailing list, to which I've had minimal feedback.

Has anybody successfully installed Oracle 10g RAC Database on a Tru64 Cluster (v5.1Bpk4) where the nodes are using NetRAIN for their LAN connection ? We've been having problems installing 10g for some time now, and Oracle believe that NetRAIN may be the issue.

As we've currently got a production 9i database on the box that we're attempting to upgrade, we can't easily remove NetRAIN to see if it is causing the issue, and Oracle don't seem to be able to find a system anywhere in the world to test with. (Which makes we wonder how they actually compiled the software, but thats a different issue !)

In detail, what happens is that when root.sh is run after the Cluster Ready Services (CRS) install, none of the CRS daemons start up.

Oracle have had all of the trace and output logs and can't see an obvious problem, but they have a note from a previous employee stating that he couldn't get cluster ready services installed with NetRAIN present. They won't give us a definite yes or no as to whether this note is true, but want us to remove NetRAIN and try without, which we're reluctant to do as the box is in production with the 9i RAC.

Has anyone done this successfully ?

Cheers,
Rob
Honored Contributor
Ralf Puchner
Message 2 of 8 (313 Views)

Re: Oracle 10g RAC on Tru64 5.1Bpk4 with NetRAIN

If netrain is the problem, why not checking the event manager and error logs? Why should netrain be a problem if it is absolute transparent for network services?
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Honored Contributor
Rob Leadbeater
Message 3 of 8 (313 Views)

Hi,

Which event manager and error logs do you mean specifically ?

There's nothing relevant in /var/adm/messages that I can see...

Agreed NetRAIN should have absolutely no effect on the install, its just that Oracle think it might be the cause of our problems. As we're not in a position to remove NetRAIN, I was just wondering whether anybody out there had done it, or indeed whether anybody could test it...

Cheers,
Rob
Esteemed Contributor
Han Pilmeyer
Message 4 of 8 (313 Views)

It feels like this must be cluster (RAC) related as other parts of Oracle such as the listener would normally deal with IP addresses (names) etc. The interfaces for those can have many names.

For the cluster interconnect one might expect some dependency. I remember something like this some time ago when choosing between RDG and UDP for the RAC traffic. However here the interface name would now be ics0 (in the latest version of TruCluster Server) and the NetRAIN name of the interface would be at a "lower level".

Can you be a bit more specific on the actual error?
Honored Contributor
Rob Leadbeater
Message 5 of 8 (313 Views)

But we're not using NetRAIN for the cluster interconnect, just the LAN connection... The cluster interconnect is memory channel.

Unfortunately I can't be more specific on the error, as we're getting nothing logged (that we're aware of) that tells us what's happening. Oracle support have had us look in all the relevant places and have found nothing...

Occasional Visitor
Joop van Zonneveld_1
Message 6 of 8 (313 Views)

Hi,

Try this,

cd $ORACLE_HOME/lib/rdbms
make -f ins_rdbms.mk rac_on ipc_udp ioracle

Gr,

Joop
Trusted Contributor
Eric van Dijken
Message 7 of 8 (313 Views)

Hi Rob,

Just installed 10g for the first time, (Tru64 Pk4, Netrain, etc.) can't find anything wrong with the install.

# ./root.sh
Running Oracle10 root.sh script...

The following environment variables are set as:
ORACLE_OWNER= oracle
ORACLE_HOME= /data1/oracle/10g

Enter the full pathname of the local bin directory: [/usr/local/bin]:
The file "dbhome" already exists in /usr/local/bin. Overwrite it? (y/n) [n]: y
Copying dbhome to /usr/local/bin ...
The file "oraenv" already exists in /usr/local/bin. Overwrite it? (y/n) [n]: y
Copying oraenv to /usr/local/bin ...
The file "coraenv" already exists in /usr/local/bin. Overwrite it? (y/n) [n]: y
Copying coraenv to /usr/local/bin ...

Adding entry to /etc/oratab file...
Entries will be added to the /etc/oratab file as needed by
Database Configuration Assistant when a database is created
Finished running generic part of root.sh script.
Now product-specific root actions will be performed.
Successfully accumulated necessary OCR keys.
Creating OCR keys for user 'root', privgrp 'daemon'..
Operation successful.
Oracle Cluster Registry for cluster has been initialized

Adding to inittab
Checking the status of Oracle init process...
Expecting the CRS daemons to be up within 600 seconds.
CSS is active on these nodes.
islasu0001
CSS is active on all nodes.
Oracle CSS service is installed and running under init(1M)
#

Is there anything special in your setup?
Watch, Think and Tinker.
Honored Contributor
Rob Leadbeater
Message 8 of 8 (313 Views)

NetRAIN turned out not to be the issue. I forget exactly what it was now (it was nearly 4 years ago!), but suffice to say Oracle's support of 10g RAC on Tru64 is exceedingly poor.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.