upgrading DP 6.21 to 7.01 with current Cell manager on Windows 2003 32bit (580 Views)
Valued Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 1 of 10 (580 Views)

upgrading DP 6.21 to 7.01 with current Cell manager on Windows 2003 32bit

Hello Expert,

Currently I am having Data Protector 6.21 with cell manager on windows 2003 32bit. Now I am planning to upgrade DP to 7.01 but in 7.01 Cell manager is not supported on windows 2003 32 bit.

Please suggest the recommended steps to do the upgradation in this scenario.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards,

Syed

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 2 of 10 (561 Views)

Re: upgrading DP 6.21 to 7.01 with current Cell manager on Windows 2003 32bit

Hi,

you need to upgrade to 64bit platform first, before upgrading to 7.01. Using a new server you can use the tool winomnimigrate (it's a perl script). A more quick and dirty way is to stop the services, copy the db40 and config folder to a safe place (off the server), reinstall the server with W2K8 R2, copy db40 and config folder back to the location as is was before, install DP 7. Duiring the installation (when you change the data path to the folder were you copied your db40 stuff) you will be asked for "upgrade database". When you say yes, the installation will use the database in place.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 3 of 10 (546 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. As per your recomendations I will follow these steps, please correct me if I am wrong or missed something:

1. Prepare a new server having OS as windows 2008 64bit.

2. MigrateDP from 32 bit to 64 bit using winomnimigrate.

3. upgrade DP from 6.21 to 7.01 on 64bit OS.

Here I have few queries,

1. For my new OS 64bit should I keep teh hostname and IP same as old CM and migrate the DP. Once migration completed remove the old CM from network and bring new 64bit CM in network. Can I do this?

2. I have 3 Solaris clients and 1 Linux clients but no installation server for unix, for upgrading these clients I need to upgrade manually or how to do it?

3. I have one NAS device EMC celerra using as file server and taking backup using NDMP. While upgrading this DP from 32 bit to 64 bit and from 6.21 to 7.01 what I need to do and this device NDMP is supported in 7.01 also or not?

Many thanks for all your support.

Regards,

Syed

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 4 of 10 (534 Views)

Hello Expert,

Any further help on this upgrade.

Need to have an action plan of this upgrade to provided to management ASAP.

Regards,

Syed

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 5 of 10 (530 Views)

Hi,

please see my answers below.

Best regards

Daniel

1. Prepare a new server having OS as windows 2008 64bit.

2. MigrateDP from 32 bit to 64 bit using winomnimigrate.

3. upgrade DP from 6.21 to 7.01 on 64bit OS.

Correct!

Here I have few queries,

1. For my new OS 64bit should I keep teh hostname and IP same as old CM and migrate the DP. Once migration completed remove the old CM from network and bring new 64bit CM in network. Can I do this?

--> Using winomnimigrate you do not keep the original name - you need to have a new one. Using my "quick and dirty" way, you can keep the cell server name

2. I have 3 Solaris clients and 1 Linux clients but no installation server for unix, for upgrading these clients I need to upgrade manually or how to do it?

--> make your Linux box an installation server - only few steps required to do that - will save a lot of work and troubleshooting. It's never a waste of time or resources to have an installation server in place.

3. I have one NAS device EMC celerra using as file server and taking backup using NDMP. While upgrading this DP from 32 bit to 64 bit and from 6.21 to 7.01 what I need to do and this device NDMP is supported in 7.01 also or not?

--> It should be, see support matrix to get the right answer.

-----------
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 6 of 10 (505 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response & support.I have another query on host name for new CM which is mentioned below. Please answer it for me

--> Using winomnimigrate you do not keep the original name - you need to have a new one. Using my "quick and dirty" way, you can keep the cell server name

----> If I change the hostname while using winomnimigrate, after upgradation I need to go to each clients to change the etc/hosts file to edit the CM name. What could be the problem if I use same host name for cell manager and don't bring new CM in network untill migration completed successfully.

Regards,

Syed

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 7 of 10 (499 Views)

From my point of view, None.  In fact, this would be the preferred method if you can keep the original hostname, so that you don't have to change the Cell Manager hostname on the clients

If the IP address on the new cell manager is changing, you will need to transfer your licenses, but, if not, they don't have to be changed wither

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
danielbraun
Message 8 of 10 (492 Views)

Hi,

when using winomnimigrate for the migration to a new box, all clients are automatically exported and imported on the new cell server. So, no need to connect to each client to change the cell membersip.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 9 of 10 (476 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Agreed winomnimigrate will migrate all he clients from old cell manager to new cell manager, but what I meant to say is that on my clients /etc/hosts file i have addedd cell manager details. So if the new cell manager will have different hostname and IP address I will be needing to eidt the etc/hosts file for all client.

Can I do this way that assign the same ip address and hostname on my new cell manager and then do winomnimigrate. once migration completed bring the new CM on network.

Is this steps ok?

Regards,

Syed

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
RolfW
Message 10 of 10 (370 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Daniel,

I tried the quick and dirty way, but after all, rds service did not start.

The solution was to run:

perl winomnimigrate.pl -configure

The script changed some catalog entries from 32 to 64 bit. After this, rds service started sucessfully.

DP 7 is up and running!

Thanks for the time saving hints.

Regards,

Rolf

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation