Re: poor vtl tapes (407 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Fredrik Jansson
Message 1 of 3 (413 Views)

poor vtl tapes

Question what is best practis to handle vtl-tapes i dataprotector that i marked as poor?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 2 of 3 (407 Views)

Re: poor vtl tapes

If there is no hardware related issue that will actually destroyed data on the tape, just run omnimm -reset_poor_medium <media_id>. It is always good to know what caused the poor state. If it is the age of the tape, increase the pool settings fro condition since virtual media will (hopefully) not getting old. :)

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Alpha_1_1
Message 3 of 3 (404 Views)

Re: poor vtl tapes

Hi,

If the medium has become poor as the result of a backup or device error, the data on it may be recoverable, but you may not want to risk writing to the tape again immediately.

What I have done is to create a pool for such media, and I move them into it for the duration of their protection. When protection has expired, reformat the medium - it might be helpful to assign it a label that indicates it has been reused (I add an *  to the label, so LF1234L4 becomes LF1234L4*).

This works for both physical and virtual media.

Cheers,

Bob

IT Services - "Always outnumbered, always outgunned..."
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation