how to encrypt backup Data using Data Protector (3125 Views)
Trusted Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 1 of 3 (3,125 Views)
Accepted Solution

how to encrypt backup Data using Data Protector

Hi Everybody,

I am sorry if i have posted the question at wrong place.

Can anyone please tell me how to take backup in encrypted form using Data Protector and any license is needed for that. I am taking backup on MSL

All helps very much appreciated

Thnks & Regards

Syed 

Valued Contributor
Blueskies
Message 2 of 3 (3,110 Views)

Re: how to encrypt backup Data using Data Protector

Greetings Syed,

It depends on which form of encryption you wish to use:

1. If you are concerned with the "tape falling off the back of a truck" scenario so you wish to have the data encrypted on tape, if you have either LTO-4 or LTO-5 tape drives, then you would use the hardware encryption supported by these drives.  This has two major advantages - it is supported as standard by Data Protector without any licensing requirements, and does not affect the performance of clients (Disk Agents) or the tape devices.
  2. If you are concerned about the security of data being transmitted over the wire from the Disk Agent to the Media Agent, or if indeed you have tape devices which do not have in-built hardware encryption, then you will want to use the AES256 software encryption supported in the Disk Agent.  There are two ramifications of this - each client for which you wish to do encryption will require a license (BB618AAE), and there will be a perfromance hit on each client performing encryption.

Hope this helps.

Blueskies from down-under...
Trusted Contributor
Syedfurquan
Message 3 of 3 (3,104 Views)

Re: how to encrypt backup Data using Data Protector

Thnx alot for the reply
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.