backup ecx (29 Views)
Frequent Advisor
bitou
Message 1 of 7 (29 Views)

backup ecx

hello, can anyone help me ?

i have a dp 6.11 which i hope to integrate with vmware esx3.5 and vcenter 2.5. i serach to take the VCB (vmware consolidated backup) script from the hp site but i found only the script for dp5.5 and 6.0.
my question:
1- is there any VCB script for dp6.11 specifically?
2- the VCB script for 5.5and 6.0 can be work normally with dp6.11??
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Uwe Zessin
Message 2 of 7 (29 Views)

Re: backup ecx

The traditional VCB script should work fine with DP 6.11. There is no (free) 6.11 version, because those scripts have been replaced by the (pay-for) "VMware integration" feature.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
bitou
Message 3 of 7 (29 Views)

thanks for your response.

i didn't understand very well, did you mean that on DP6.11 have the option "vmware integration" and if we have this option it is free.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Uwe Zessin
Message 4 of 7 (29 Views)

The VMware integration works like a "database online backup agent". It is a set of extra modules that you install on the ESX server(s), the VCB proxy and the VMware vCenter server.

And it uses the same license number you can buy to do online backups, e.g. for MSSQL or Exchange - but it is not "free".
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
bitou
Message 5 of 7 (29 Views)

thanks one more time for your help but i have a data protector 6.11 and esx server which i have to backup can you please propose any solution because i have found only one solution with dp6.0 which consists to download scripts without any installation on esx.

can you please send me a link for the document which explain your method if exists?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Uwe Zessin
Message 6 of 7 (29 Views)

The scripts simply use the VCB architecture and offer a image- or file(NTFS-only)-based backup.

The Data Protector VMware integration has more features. For example, it can use agents in the ESX service console and do backups with a VCB proxy. Or use data protector agents on the VCB proxy. One useful feature is that the integration can "ask the vCenter server" on which ESX server a VM is running (I'm sure you know this can change when you are using VMotion, DRS or HA) and then talk to this server for backups.

This link covers the standard 6.11 documentation, plus it has a number of useful whitepapers (including VMware integration) at the bottom:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3889913

You really want to look into:
HP Data Protector A.06.11 integration guide for VMware, Sybase, Network Node Manager, and Network Data Management Protocol Server
*plus*
HP Data Protector 6.1 software VMware Integration Installation Best Practice
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
bitou
Message 7 of 7 (29 Views)

thank you very much for your help. but i have the VM (virtual machine) stored on the SAM storage EVA. after my search, i don't found any methods other the VCB that mount the file and create a snapshot in order to backup this file using Data protector. i don't know a lot of DP 6.11 with vmware, but i ask you one more time:
is there any features on DP 6.11 that we help to backup this VM from EVA without VCB product from Vmware, and how to install the VCB without the scripts (not available on hp site)?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation