adding file systems to servers (167 Views)
Advisor
frhling
Message 1 of 5 (167 Views)

adding file systems to servers

Hello

Sometimes it happens that admin add volumes (file systems) to servers without notifying the backup admin. Even though this should not happen it can happen.

How can we ensure that that all file systems that somebody might have added are in fact being backed up?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
André Beck
Message 2 of 5 (140 Views)

Re: adding file systems to servers

[ Edited ]

Hi,

there are two ways to add objects to a file system backup specification (have a closer look, they differ in the color used for the top-level checkmarks in the GUI Source page). It's made more obvious on the Backup Object Summary page, so have a look there. Make sure you add these servers as Client System objects, not Filesystem objects. A Client System object always includes all the file systems/volumes that are found to be mounted there the moment the backup runs, with Excludes (below Trees/Filters) as a mechanism to prevent some of them from ever being backed up (if you need that - but the exclude list is empty initially).

To get a Client System backup in the GUI, first check the entire host (top-level checkmark), then expand and proceed to exclude certain volumes/files you are not interested in. If you instead first expand the unchecked top-level for a host and proceed to select individual volumes directly, you will get individual Filesystem backup objects.

HTH,

Andre.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
frhling
Message 3 of 5 (109 Views)

Thanks for your reply.

I believe adding servers as client system can not be an option for us because of the high availability cluster setup. If we do that, a virtual cluster name would also back up all the other files that currently reside on the same physical machine and it would be very hard to exclude these all with an exclude list.

- What other ways can you suggest me?

- Do you have any idea of how it can be done via a monitoring plug-in?

best regards,

frhling

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Jenni_S
Message 4 of 5 (101 Views)

[ Edited ]

if you select the client (top level) and then deselect the drives that you don't want to back up then anything new will be included - the tick will change colour from bright red to faded red.

E.g. in the backup spec it will look like this if I want to include all new data drives but exclude C:\ drive

HOST "testserver.domain.com" testserver.domain.com
{
           -trees
                           "\"
           -exclude
                          "C:"
}

cheers,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS! "White Star"
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Jenni_S
Message 5 of 5 (95 Views)

Is this is a microsoft cluster? If yes and you have installed this as a cluster aware DP client then selecting the top level client will only show you the disks presented to this particular resourse, not the other disk drives. The client you are using in the backup spec should be the virtual resource not the cluster node.

cheers,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS! "White Star"
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation