What am I doing wrong? (28 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Rob Wood
Message 1 of 4 (28 Views)

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Ya'll, being a novice I am certain that this has got to be something I'm doing wrong, I just don't know what. There are actually two things I can't figure out.
1. I am creating a "one-off" Filesystem backup of multiple drives on multiple clients. I am setting this to occur at some point in the future, but when I click the "Start Backup" Button the backup begins straight away, it doesn't wait for the "future" time I've set it for.
2. We have the "OmniBack II Online Extension for Windows NT" license installed. I was of the impression that with this we would be able to do Backups while other packages were still running, but I am getting errors during backups indicating that a "File is in use by another part of the system and will not be backed up". What am I missing?
Please accept my apologies for using your valuable time on such piddling issues and my sincerest thanks for any and all assistance provided.
May the best of your past be less than the worst of your future
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Antonio Valle_1
Message 2 of 4 (28 Views)

Re: What am I doing wrong?

The online extension is used to make online backups of databases like SQL server, Oracle, Informix and Exchange. If you want to backup open files, you need the Open File Manager, wich is a module that enable the ability to backup files while they are opened by other applications.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Andreas Voss
Message 3 of 4 (28 Views)

Hi,

To your first question:
If you set a start date in future for a backup specification the start is automatically controlled by the OmniBack scheduler (so you must not start the backup manually). On HP-UX the scheduler job is the proccess omnitrig - on NT i don't know exacly which service do the schedule job (may be cds.exe or rds.exe)

Your second question:
The "OmniBack II Online Extension for Windows NT" Licence (B6955AA (NT) or B6965AA (UNIX)) allows online backups of databases such as oracle, informix, sql server (see Integration Guide) and has no optional feature for backing up flat files which are in an opened state by the NT-Operating system.

Greetings

Andrewr
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Rob Wood
Message 4 of 4 (28 Views)

Antonio & Andreas, thankyou both very much for your help. We are using NT and so I will need to figure out how to begin a Job when I set it up to "Start in the Future". I'll have another look at the system and let you know if I can't figure it out. Thanks again for your help.
May the best of your past be less than the worst of your future
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation