Re: Virtual Integration Schedules (183 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Tripoint HPUX Admin
Message 1 of 5 (238 Views)

Virtual Integration Schedules

So i've found VEAgent schedules don't behave the same as other schedules.

I setup my backups in 2 policies (i tried to utilize one but couldn't get it to work):

1st policy runs daily incremental/differential and the weekly full on the weekend but excludes the first weekend of the month.

2nd policy runs a full on the first weekend of the month with 52 week retention (vs. 4 week normal retention)

1st policy:

-full -protection -weeks 4
-every
-day Fri
-at 21:30

-full
-exclude
-day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

-incr 1 -protection -weeks 4
-every
-day Mon Tue Wed Thu Sat Sun

2nd Policy:

-full -protection -weeks 52
-every
-day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

-full
-exclude
-day Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Sat

I've tried implementing the exact schedule in the VEAgent schedule file but it doesn't like the -exclude switch

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
André Beck
Message 2 of 5 (223 Views)

Re: Virtual Integration Schedules

Hi,

first thing, I dunno about VEPA schedules. I've heard schedules may behave slightly different in different parts of DP, so this may be another case of such inconsistencies.

That being said, do you really absolutely need to have the extended protection attached to the first friday of a month's full? Or would it suffice for it to be from every 4th or 5th friday, so it's roughly month-based, but without the ugly tinkering necessary to get it week- and month-based at the same time? A schedule for an extendedly protected full every n weeks can be written in a single file without any exclude statements, so it may work where excludes aren't available.

HTH,

Andre.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Tripoint HPUX Admin
Message 3 of 5 (206 Views)

i just find it strange that a Barschedule would not function the same as a normal Schedule.

It's just the business preference in regards to running the montlhy backup on the first weekend of the month and keeping a seperate retention for general weekly/daily backups

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Tripoint HPUX Admin
Message 4 of 5 (202 Views)

Sorted out myself. Got the schedule to run daily differential backup, weekly on a saturday, with a monthly on the first of the month:

-diff -protection -weeks 4
-every
-day Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sun
-at 02:00

-full -protection -weeks 4
-day 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

-full
-exclude
-day Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sun

-full -protection -weeks 52
-every
-day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

-full
-exclude
-day Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
André Beck
Message 5 of 5 (183 Views)

That schedule truly is a piece of art. Does it work for VEPA too?

Only sad thing is that specifying rather common business use case schedules requires that level of applied set theory...

Bookmarked,

Andre.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation