Re: VM file system backups running slow. 6.2 (609 Views)
Advisor
Rixit
Message 1 of 8 (616 Views)
Accepted Solution

VM file system backups running slow. 6.2

I have a VM running Server 2008 R2 and DP 6.2 with the latest patches. Only C drive is configured for backups with 43GB of data. The backup for the server runs real slow and does not complete in over 24 hours. 

There are several other physical machines in the same jobs that complete very well. I have installed the latest patches for 6.20 and made the following entries in the omnirc file

OB2IPCNOSENDRECVLOOP=1
OB2SHMIPC=0

Nothing changed and the backups are still not completing. Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 2 of 8 (609 Views)

Re: VM file system backups running slow. 6.2

What virtualization solution is used for hosting the VM? I've seen such issues on XenServer a lot. You could install the media agent on the VM, setup a null device on that VM and try to backup directly to that device to see if networking is the issue. Check the debug.log and system event log on the Windows VM.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rixit
Message 3 of 8 (582 Views)

The server is hosted on Vmware. I tried creating the null device and the backup speeds were good.

I don't suspect the Network to be a problem because i have another physical server on the same network with exact same specifications and the network setup that backs up on good speeds.

Anything else that can be a culprit here?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 4 of 8 (571 Views)

Well, the configuration of your ESX network/vswitch might cause issues. You should verify if a null device backp to a host outside of the ESX host works with a similar speed then the local null backup. If this is the case, networking is not an issue and we can continue.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rixit
Message 5 of 8 (534 Views)

I created another null device outside the VM network and the speeds are still slow. I am still doubtfull that it is a network issue.

Any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rixit
Message 6 of 8 (476 Views)

this was resolved. The issue was with the vswitch on ESX :)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ku4er
Message 7 of 8 (151 Views)

Hello! Can you describe what issue was on esxi vcwitch? I got the same problem in my environment.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rixit
Message 8 of 8 (139 Views)

esx vswitch was hard coded to run on 100mbps we changed the speed to get the desired results.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation