Re: VM BAckup issue. !!! DP 6.2 (1326 Views)
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 1 of 14 (1,443 Views)

VM BAckup issue. !!! DP 6.2

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

this time its VM Snapshot backup

Let me first explain a bit on my configuration of VM snapshot backup with DP 6.2

Backup host --> Win VM (V centre)

DP Cell Server -- > HP-UX 11.31 - with latest patch bundle

No of ESXi hosts --> 2

Problem :-

1. The VM Snapshot backup is too slow - Though its NBD, throughput of LAN is 125MB/s. What would be the maximum throughput  I could get for snapshot backup through this LAN ??

2. When I restore the snapshot, the win license seems to be wiped off.

3. When I do the backup of VMs, eventhough the VM size is 50GB, DP backup 400GB (which is the total size allocated for the VM)

Please help on these 3.....

Thanks a million friends.... 

******Assign Kudos (click on the white star) should you find it useful. *******
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 2 of 14 (1,417 Views)

Re: VM BAckup issue. !!! DP 6.2

Ok, I'll try to help you out here...

1. The VM Snapshot backup is too slow - Though its NBD, throughput of LAN is 125MB/s. What would be the maximum throughput  I could get for snapshot backup through this LAN ??

You can fully saturate the available network bandwidth with a single VM backup as long your storage subsystem can deliver that much throughput in a single stream. I usually backup 4 VMs in parallel. Doing so will increase the probability to hit multiple datastores at once.

2. When I restore the snapshot, the win license seems to be wiped off.

I've never came across this issue so far. Sounds like Windows notices a hardware change that wipes the activation status, not the license itself. Do you change something in VM hardware after restore or the UUID of the VM for example? Is the restore done directly back to ESX host or vCenter or done via filesystem + converter?

3. When I do the backup of VMs, eventhough the VM size is 50GB, DP backup 400GB (which is the total size allocated for the VM)

I did some testing to make sure I tell you the right thing. If you select Changed block tracking as well as optimize disks for your VEPA backups, only the used disk capacity of the VMDKs will be backed up. This is true for VMware Thin Provisioned VMDKs and VMware Tick Provisioned Lazy Zeroed disks. Tick Provisioned Eager Zeroed disks will always backup the whole VMDK, even with those options set.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 3 of 14 (1,413 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you very much for shedding light in these. 

as I had mentioned in last thread, 125MB/sec is the LAN speed. It took 4hrs and 40 mins to backup a VM of size 403 GB. Is ithis normal through LAN ?

2. I have not changed anything after restore. The restore was done directly to the V centre (original datastore).

3. Where to specify this Changed block tracking and optimized disk parameters ??

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 4 of 14 (1,409 Views)

24MB/s is not what I usually see for VEPA, even with NBD transport. 40-60MB/s per concurrent VM in a backup job. If the media agent used is located on Windows 2008, make sure OB2IPCNOSENDRECVLOOP=1 and OB2SHMIPC=0 is in the omnirc of this system.

I need to do some research on the license thing. Does this happen only on specific Windows versions? Do you have volume licenses around?

You can change the VEPA backup options if you do a right click on vCenter server -> configure virtual machines in the source tab of the backup job. This is inherited to all VMs in the job unless overwritten on a per VM basis.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 5 of 14 (1,407 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

My Media agent is HP-UX (configured the "hire_timeout_value" kernel parameter.). But the VM backup is transported to this media server through Win Machine (through my backup host which is the V-centre). 

Does that a cause of slowness ?

okie. thanks for your effort Sebastian.

Yes. I found out this and changed. 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 6 of 14 (1,397 Views)

You should check the network conneciton of the Windows backup host and the ESX service console to see if you can tweak something. Remember that the ESX hosts send backup data to the backup host via network, then it is send from disk agent to media agent via network as well. If you use NBD, the service console might need more bandwith...

You have two options:

1. make destination devices visible to the Windows backup host to reduce multiple network transmits to minimum

2. Use a Linux backup host for VEPA (available with DP 6.21 and later) and give this host access to tapes

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 7 of 14 (1,395 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

It was quite helpful.. thanks a lot. 

My backup host is VM itself. So its not possible for me to present the tape library directly to the backup host.

I have installed and configured most of the things using DP 6.2; cant even imagine of upgrade. he h eh e..... and only this VM issues pops up

My media agent is on Cell Manager itself which is HP-UX and connected to library via SAN.

So here I have no  option other than finding out the bottle neck which is the transport between ESXi and V center or between Vcenter and media agent. 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 8 of 14 (1,381 Views)

If the backup host is VM, then optimize the data flow as good as possible. The most influence on network troughput would be...

* Windows version / 2008 R2 performs much better then 2003

* use vmxnet3 NIC instead of default one

* put the VM NIC in the same network as the ESX service console / avoid routers and firewalls / check with tracert

* make sure the ESX service console is attached to LAN correctly

If you're able to, setup an external Linux or Windows host and use it as backup host. This would be best. If you want to bypass network as good as possible and can't effort additional physical hosts, the hotadd method will work best for you. This is supported for Linux and Windows backup hosts.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 9 of 14 (1,374 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

Really thanks a lot for that info. I will explore on these tomorrow defenitely. 

Meanwhile, Any findings on "why VM was out of license once its being restored" .. I have used all the possible resources to address this issue. No luck . :( ..

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 10 of 14 (1,369 Views)

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 11 of 14 (1,361 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

THanks a lot for this.

I found something interesting here. 

There is something called, "Sysprep" in Win. IIf this utility is beign run, then it will change the SID of the machine which in turn will ask for the new activation key.

Is there any method you are aware to disbale this utility from running when an image is taken ?

I Guess this could be the problem cause ?? Share your thoughts please.... 

Thanks a lot ...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 12 of 14 (1,339 Views)

sysprep is only involved in deployment scenarios, not in case of restoration. Have you checked what type of Windows licenses (OEM, volume or retail licenses) are used in your environment?

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
shabab-os
Message 13 of 14 (1,333 Views)

Hi Sebastian,

Its OEM license ..... Will OEM License will be wipped off once the cloning is done ?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 14 of 14 (1,326 Views)

I guess so, This is something you might need to discuss with Microsoft. Never had to do a restore of a Windows VM with OEM licenses so far. Could be, that the check of hardware changes for OEM licenses is more strict and causes the Windows Product Activation to popup. From a restoration perspective, you've done everything right.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation