Re: Upgrade and Migration path from DP 6.11 to DP 8.x (293 Views)
Advisor
DGiguere
Message 1 of 3 (344 Views)

Upgrade and Migration path from DP 6.11 to DP 8.x

Hi,

I have a migration to do from a cell manager 6.11 installed on a 32bits windows machine to a new cell manager on a different machine (64bits windows OS).  I am also planning of keeping the same FQDN machine name.

Do I first need to upgrade from 6.11 to 6.2x on the existing server?

Then can I install a fresh copy of DP 8.0 on the new server and then import the IDB database from the old server to the new server?

Then rename the new cell manager from a temporary name to the name of the older cell manager so that the clients computers will point ot it.

Any recommandations will be appreciated.

Thanks

HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 3 (335 Views)

Re: Upgrade and Migration path from DP 6.11 to DP 8.x

Do I first need to upgrade from 6.11 to 6.2x on the existing server?

I would recommend that you do it this way

---------------

Then can I install a fresh copy of DP 8.0 on the new server and then import the IDB database from the old server to the new server?

No... DP 8 uses an entirely new IDB, so it is not so easy to just pick it up and move it as was in older versions

DP 6.2 gives you a direct upgrade path to DP 8.0 that an upgrade from 6.11 does not offer

At this point, where DP 8 has so many problems with their IDB, I recommend that you upgrade to DP 7.0 on your new server, you should be able to just move the IDB from one server to another, and run

omnidbutil -change_cell_name

There is a new patch bundle for DP 8.11 which fixes many of these problems, but, I would wait to see if it introduces new ones

Advisor
DGiguere
Message 3 of 3 (293 Views)

Re: Upgrade and Migration path from DP 6.11 to DP 8.x

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

According to your advise I will stick to 7.x and later on I will do an other upgrade from 7.x to 8.x, I will allow enough time to let HP fix the majority of the problems then.

Thanks again Bob.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.