Re: Unable to open device error (303 Views)
Advisor
dirkdevos
Message 1 of 8 (361 Views)

Unable to open device error

We are having some issue accessing any of the tapes on the device. I issued a "omnisv stop" and "omnisv start" command while the device was in the process of backing up a file. When I then later brought up the data protector GUI I noticed that slot 7 was showing as being empty. This was the slot that the tape was in that was being used at that point in time.

I was able to get the tape back into the slot using the menu on the physical device. Now none of my backups want to work and I am not able to format any new tape that I insert into the device.

Now I am getting a "[90:54]    Cannot open device (/dev/rtape/tape2_BESTn)" error message. It almost feels like the software thinks there is still a tape in use.

Any idea how to resolve this.

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 8 (346 Views)

Re: Unable to open device error

You didn't state what the OS-type or version is, but, when nothing is running, at the comand prompt, see if there is a hung session

omnistat

If you see any, use the session ID to try and kill the session

omniabort -session [session id]          Do not include the [   ] marks

Stop Data Protector, and check to see if there are any running sessions

UNIX Cell Manager

ps -ef | grep omni

Windows

Open Task Manager, get a list fo running processes

Look for any 'xSM' (for example BSM, RSM, MSM, CSM, ASM) processes, if you see any, then kill them

Start Data Protector, and run

omnidbutil -clear

omnidbutil -show_locked_devs

If there are any locked devices or cartridges

omnidbutil -free_locked_devs

omnidbutil -show_locked_devs

This should free up your device.  If not, the Media Agent should probably be rebooted, because teh device is locked at the OS-level

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dirkdevos
Message 3 of 8 (341 Views)

Bob,

We are running the data protector on w windows server and I believe it's version 6. If I log on to the console I am able to move the tape to and from the slot.

I did "devbra -devices" and got nothing on the screen.

I did "omnidbutil -show_locked_devs" with the following result.

I did "omnidbutil -clear" and that did not show any running sessions.

I have rebooted the server as well so there should not be any hung applications.

I guess i have to reboot "Media Agent" and I assume that is the physical device.

C:\Program Files\OmniBack\bin>omnidbutil -show_locked_devs

Locked devices/media/cartridges:
================================

No locked devices/media/cartridges found!

When I looked at the debug log I found the following.

1/8/2014 3:49:43 PM  SecLibIpc.2964.2996 ["/lib/ipc/ipc.c $Rev: 14517 $ $Date:: 2010-11-03 18:44:53":1681] A.06.20 b370
ipc initialized before cmn!

1/8/2014 3:50:52 PM  SecLibIpc.3196.3204 ["/lib/ipc/ipc.c $Rev: 14517 $ $Date:: 2010-11-03 18:44:53":1681] A.06.20 b370
ipc initialized before cmn!

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 4 of 8 (333 Views)

This is the really big flag for me:

"I did "devbra -devices" and got nothing on the screen."

I don't know if 'devbra -devices' will give the same output as 'devbra -dev', which is how the command should be run

Assuming that the output is accurate, this means that DP sees no locally-attached devices (Devices in a SAN are considered to be Locally Attached), you will need to reboot the HPUX media agent, which descovers all locally-attached devices, and run 'devbra -dev' again

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dirkdevos
Message 5 of 8 (330 Views)

Bob,

I ran the command both ways and got the same results. Sorry for the stupid question but what is the "HPUX media agent" and how do I reboot it?

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 6 of 8 (322 Views)

This is certainly a legitimate question

From your initial post

""[90:54]    Cannot open device (/dev/rtape/tape2_BESTn)"

The '/dev/rtape/tape2_BESTn' is a HPUX device file, so the media agent in running on HPUX

You did not include the entire error, but, as part of the error message, you can see

From BMA@[hostname]

The [hostname] is that of your Media agent

You will need to get with your HPUX system administrator, rebooting normally requires 'root' permission

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
jruffer
Message 7 of 8 (313 Views)

I recently had a situation where I rebooted a library thinking that all the drives were empty but one wasn't.  Subsequent write attempts to that drive failed.

Another reboot of the library fixed the problem.

HTH

Jeremy

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dirkdevos
Message 8 of 8 (303 Views)

As a last attempt before calling support I looked at the unix side of the equation and found that I had a session running on one of the hosts. I then killed the session and I was able to format tapes again.

ps -ef | grep omni

kill -9 nnnnn

Thanks to everybody for their help and suggestions.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation