Steps to Integrate Oracle Backup and Omniback. (172 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Sally Lau
Message 1 of 6 (172 Views)

Steps to Integrate Oracle Backup and Omniback.

Hi,

I am an Oracle DBA on HP platforms. For Oracle backup, I normally use DDS tapes but this time, I can't because the one database is very huge, more than 40GB. I need to use Omniback. But the problem is I do not know how to do it. Basically, I need the steps to incorporate certain requirements into Omniback e.g. (1) start and stop database before and after Omniback, (2) start and end tablespaces backup mode before and after Omniback, and (3) backup of redos and controlfiles.

Please advise further. I am deperately looking for the answer.

Thank you and best regards,
Sally Lau
Honored Contributor
Vladislav Demidov
Message 2 of 6 (172 Views)

Re: Steps to Integrate Oracle Backup and Omniback.

You can configure pre-exec and post-exec scripts in Omniback session to perform start and stop database procedure or change backup mode of your tablespaces.

But it is better to use omniback-oracle integration. Omniback offers possibility for online and offline oracle database backup. You should install the next components to get a full range of opportunity of oracle database backup:
? The Oracle8 Recovery Manager (RMAN)
? The OmniBack II Oracle8 Integration software.
For more specific information refer to "OmniBack II Integration Guide"
Advisor
Phani V Yenugu
Message 3 of 6 (172 Views)

You should have EBU (for oracle 7) and RMAN (for oracle 8) before trying to integrate omniback-oracle. You need to have separate EBU or RMAN catalog database where in you register the target database before proceeding. The initiation of the backup (online or offline) will come from EBU or RMAN executables where they put the tablespaces in online mode before giving control to omniback.
Typically you create a catalog database on another server to reduce the potential risk of loosing everything if your server has any problems.
You should install EBU or RMAN executables on both target server as the catalog database.
For offline backups you should have pre-and post-exec scripts to bring down the database.
There are different version of EBU and RMAN to support different versions of Oracle. Check with Oracle support and get the right version.
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any problems.

Phani

Phani
Occasional Visitor
Sally Lau
Message 4 of 6 (172 Views)

Hi all,

Merci for all feedback. Some more enlightenments needed here.

If EBU/RMAN is not an option for me, and I go ahead with the use of pre/post Omniback processing, what are the limitations or problems that I will meet? Can I write script A to alter all tablespaces begin backup and placed it in pre processing, then, write script B to end all backup? Is that all I need?

If I purchase RMAN, does it teach us the integration part with Omniback? Or does Omniback teaches integration with Oracle? How do I get the manual for Omniback integration?

Thanks again.
Regards,
Sal
Honored Contributor
Andreas Voss
Message 5 of 6 (172 Views)

Hi,

OmniBack documentation is available at:
http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/

Greetings

Andrew
Honored Contributor
Andreas Voss
Message 6 of 6 (172 Views)

Hi,

Here some templates:

Oracle stop script:
export ORACLE_TERM=vt100
export ORACLE_SID=
export ORACLE_BASE=
export ORACLE_HOME=
export ORACLE_NLS33=

PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME ; export PATH

svrmgrl <connect internal
shutdown abort
EOF

Oracle start script:
All the same as stop script except change
shutdown abort
to
startup

OmniBack stop script:
(Put it into /opt/omni/lbin on the oracle server)
su - -c
OmniBack start script:
su - -c
You have to change the items in <..> with your requirements.

Regards

Andrew
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.