Re: Replacing a Data Protector client with new hardware (408 Views)
Outstanding Contributor
Pete Randall
Message 1 of 5 (444 Views)
Accepted Solution

Replacing a Data Protector client with new hardware

My production HP-UX server is being replaced with new HP-UX hardware.  I want the new hardware to continue to be a DP client, using the same name and IP address as the old.  How (and when) do I do this so the name remains the same and I can restore from the previous backups.  I assume I have to push the client software out to the new box, but when do I do that?  After I have switched the name/IP?

Pete
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 5 (423 Views)

Re: Replacing a Data Protector client with new hardware

Is the new machine a actual client, or is it the Cell Manager?

If it is just the client, after it is installed and up and running, in the Client context of the GUI, right-click on the hostname and pick Add Components, and add in any components you had previously installed.  if this server was doing any Application backups, you will have to redo the Integration

If it is the Cell Manager, I would advise that you make a backup of the IDB ( which includes the Configuration files) onto Tape, and run the commands

omnidownload -list_devices -detail > /tmp/devs.txt

omnidownload -list_libraries -detail > /tmp/libs.txt

to save your Device configuration files.

Get your new machine up and running, install Data Protector from the Installation media, and get it patched to current version.

Create a new logical library with a single drive.

Scan the slot containing the IDB backup, then, Import that Media into your cell

Go to Restore, find the session of the IDB backup you want to Restore from, and restore it to a temporary directory

Stop DP, rename

/etc/opt/omni/server

and replace it with the Restored version.  This contains all your Configuration file (datalists, schedules, Users, cell information, licenses)

Rename

/var/opt/omni/server/db40

and replace it with the Restored version.  This is your Internal Database, which contains all of your session information, your Device Configurations, and Media Information.  Restart Data Protector

As long as the IP address and hostname of the client or cell manager are going to be the same, there should be nothing else for you to do

Outstanding Contributor
Pete Randall
Message 3 of 5 (418 Views)

Thanks Bob!

Just a client, thank goodness, so all I need to do is just your second paragraph?  And all the rest of your message was only for Cell Manager?

Pete

Pete
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 4 of 5 (411 Views)

Yes, this is correct.  Since the description of what you wanted to do was somewhat brief, I needed to cover all the bases

Outstanding Contributor
Pete Randall
Message 5 of 5 (408 Views)

You covered them all in my book, Bob!  Thanks again.

Pete
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.