Re: Problem with restore of incr. Exchange 2010 backup (433 Views)
Occasional Contributor
bkevint
Message 1 of 4 (452 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem with restore of incr. Exchange 2010 backup

Hi,

we run full Exchange 2010 backups every Thursday, and incrementals twice a day the rest of the week.

Say I want to restore the database to how it was on a Sunday.

I thought I could do it this way:

1. Restore -> MS Exchange 2010 Server -> server -> choose db, then 'Restore files to a temporary location'

2. Select the incremental backup version on that day.

3. Choose 'Restore chain: Full restore (Full, incr, diff backups)

4. Set restore location to a temp directory.

Then I would create a new recovery database from the .edb and log-files, then restore the mailbox I want from RDB into a new mailbox in the production database.

But when I do this, DP only asks for the tape containing the incremental backup, not the last full backup+ incr. before that.

Do I instead have to restore only the full backup from Thursday, then individually each incremental backup after that until Sunday, then somehow replay the log files into the full database restore?

Thanks for your time!

Occasional Contributor
bkevint
Message 2 of 4 (450 Views)

Re: Problem with restore of incr. Exchange 2010 backup

Sorry, forgot to mention this: We're running DP 6.2
Honored Contributor
Sebastian.Koehler
Message 3 of 4 (445 Views)

Have you actually tried to restore the backup or did you just checked the list of media Data Protector lists. DP should take care of the restore chain for you and load all necessary media during restore job. If this does not work, you might open a support call.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Occasional Contributor
bkevint
Message 4 of 4 (433 Views)

Hi, thanks for your answer!

You're absolutely right, I had just looked at the media it lists as necessary. Strange that it doesn't list all the tapes that is needed, that's a little confusing.

Anyway, I tried running the restore and it worked perfectly!
Thanks again for your help :)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.