Re: Over write policy for OB 3.1 with singel tape drive (186 Views)
Advisor
Dunja
Message 1 of 13 (186 Views)

Over write policy for OB 3.1 with singel tape drive

I configured a daily backup with a protection policy of 6 days. Every day some Oracle backups and a filesystem backup are performed. All appended on to that only one tape. The tape is changed every day manualy. After a week (7 days) I like to use the tapes again. At that time there are no protected objects on the tape anymore so OmniBack may overwrite them.
Why does OmniBack append the data to this tape and does not overwrite (reuse) it.

regards,
Henk.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Andreas Voss
Message 2 of 13 (186 Views)

Re: Over write policy for OB 3.1 with singel tape drive

Hi,

how do you examine that the tape is not overwritten ?
Have you tested to recycle the tape - is there still the same problem ?

Andrew
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dunja
Message 3 of 13 (186 Views)

Andrew,

Before a backup starts I check in the Media Manager/ Media Info for any objects that are protected. There are none. The backup is started at night. The next day I check for the objects again. I find protected objects on the tape which are of the backup. But the other old objects are still on tape. OmniBack appended the data. After a few weeks the tape is full. While OmniBack is allowed to overwrite the tape because there are no protected objects on it.

Recycle does help. But in case the wrong tape in loaded this will remove protected objects as well. That is what I do not want. Isn't it.
BTW I do not want to do this on a daily basis. OmniBack should be clever enough to do that in a controlled way.

Henk
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Andreas Voss
Message 4 of 13 (186 Views)

Which version of Omniback you are running and on what platform ?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dunja
Message 5 of 13 (186 Views)

Andrew,

I am using OmniBack II V3.10 on a HP9000/800 D220 system with HPUX11.0

Henk
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Andreas Voss
Message 6 of 13 (186 Views)

Seems to me very strange.
The only thing i would please you to do is to look for the actual patches:
http://ovweb.external.hp.com/cpe/patches/ob/3.10/s700_800_11.X.html
Sorry for no more detailed help.

Regards

Andrew
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Tommy Brown
Message 7 of 13 (186 Views)

Hi, I run a script containing the following:
" omnimm -list_scratch_media | more "
to get a list of "expired" tapes. I always select form the top of the list (oldest tapes)
and use them for my next backup.
In the media manager, I check the Info regarding the tape, and I do not get any appends to an expired tape. I have done it this way since 2.55. Are you certain you have the protection set correctly?? maybe you should change to 6 days, that way it would be expired on the 7th.
Tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Tommy Brown
Message 8 of 13 (186 Views)

Sorry, I misread your protection of 6 days, check the protection attributes under the info of the tape. Sometimes the expiration of the tape is later in the day.
Tommy
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Tommy Brown
Message 9 of 13 (186 Views)

I had to check an option on my system. I am using
"Appendable/Loose "
Media policy, Have you tried changing the policy to
Non Appendable ??
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Dunja
Message 10 of 13 (186 Views)

To Tommy Brown,

I do want to append on this tape because during the night we make first some backups for Oracle with RMAN then we make a backup of the filesystem.
If I ask for a list_for_scratch_media none is listed.
Perhaps I come back to the issue that OmniBack does not eject the tape because we want to do more backups during the night as I said before, so OmniBack does not know about this because we have to do it by hand. Is there a way to lett Omniback eject the tape at the end off all sessions or inform Omniback about the ejected tape so that the OmniBack database is consistend with that.

Henk.
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Tommy Brown
Message 11 of 13 (186 Views)

What graphical agent are you using?? Also, Do you have any tapes you can introduce into your pool, so that you have a day or so break in the 7 day rotation. My pools are larger than my backup requirement, so that I have a few days buffer. When I look at my pool, I always show expired or unprotected tapes.
You may want to recycle the media before you back up.
In the monitor interface, check to see if you have permanent catalog protection.
to solve this, set catalog=data protection in your backup options.
tommy
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Phani V Yenugu
Message 12 of 13 (186 Views)

Hi Henk,
1. If your pool is defined as appendable, even though it is expired omniback will still append the data at the end of previous backup. This will ensure the flexibilty to restore even though the tape is not protected anymore. The objects are still in the database as long as the data is not overwritten.
If your pool is non-appendable, then it will be overwritten at the end of the cycle. You can test this scenario.

2. you can go to advanced options in your logical drive configuration and check the eject option, so that omniback will take care of the eject operation once the backup is done.

Hope this helps.

Phani
Phani
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Tommy Brown
Message 13 of 13 (186 Views)

I did research regarding the eject option under device management. It ejects after a session is complete. If you are scheduling multiple sessions, it will eject after the first and be in mount request after that, not allowing "appending" backups.
Tommy
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation