Omniback II scheduling medium copy... (59 Views)
Super Advisor
Fedon Kadifeli
Message 1 of 4 (59 Views)
Accepted Solution

Omniback II scheduling medium copy...

We have a DLT library. We take OBII backups every night automatically. I want to duplicate these backup tapes every morning, so I can store the backup copy in another location. I have two questions:

(1) How can I schedule (i.e. do it automatically) a medium copy operation to copy the new backup tape onto another DLT tape?

(2) I want also the operators to insert the duplicate DLT tapes into the "mailslots" of the library every evening and remove them in the morning. (The "original" backup tapes will stay always in the library.) Assuming that the operators are "Omniback illiterate," how can I do this?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Andreas Voss
Message 2 of 4 (59 Views)

Re: Omniback II scheduling medium copy...

Hi,

Your job is a little bit difficult. I had the same to do.
So i wrote a script that runs as POSTEXEC of a backup specification.
It's just a prototype, you have to edit it for your choices.
The script determines the medium by using the SESSIONID variable (set by Omniback)
Then it looks for 2 free devices, im my case i have a 588/10 library with 3 drives named DLT_7000.1 DLT_7000.2 and DLT_7000.3
It looks for DLT_7000.1 and DLT_7000.2 (omnidbutil -show_locked_devs ....)
Then it searches for unprotected media in the pool $COPYPOOL.
If it has found one it starts the copy with omnimcopy ....
Because POSTEXEC jobs must have an output every 15 min (default) i run the copy job in background and look in a loop for termination of the job.
(If no output is generated, OmniBack exits with error)

The script is at the attachment.

Hope that help you

Andrew
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Phani V Yenugu
Message 3 of 4 (59 Views)

Unfortunately this should be a separate process and cannot be schedules thru omniback.
You can have the script in the cron, so that you don't keep the job hanging in the postexec.
You need to add couple of lines to find out the last good backup job that you are looking for with the session id so that you can get the original medium id.

Phani
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Phani V Yenugu
Message 4 of 4 (59 Views)

You can put the script in the cron, so that you don't keep the job hanging in the postexec.
You need to add couple of lines to find out the last good backup job that you are looking for with the session id so that you can get the original medium id.

Phani
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation