Omniback II 3.1, Client on Windows 2000 (127 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Ralf Thierbach
Message 1 of 4 (127 Views)

Omniback II 3.1, Client on Windows 2000

Is it possible to run a client on Windows 2000 while using OB 3.1 for the cell and the client?

if not- is it possible to ubgrade only the client from 3.1 to 3.5?
Omniback II 3.1
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ken Smith_1
Message 2 of 4 (127 Views)

Re: Omniback II 3.1, Client on Windows 2000

Windows 2000 clients are only supported on A.03.50 omniback. While you can have backlevel clients in a cell, you cannot have uplevel clients.
OVSO Support - HP Response Center
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Mario Umaña
Message 3 of 4 (127 Views)

Hi,
i have instaled the OB 3.1 cell manager in a windows 2000 server and work fine, the disk and media agent to, but when i try to integrate with MS SQL don?t let me do that, i don?t test with exchange yet, but i think it cat do some problems
Is the world a better place to live thet the internet?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Message 4 of 4 (127 Views)

Be very, very, careful - this is an unsupported configuration and there are some strong reasons why.

First of all the new file system, ntfs2, has some new features, like reparse points, and support for heirarchical storage managment. Omniback support for this stuff may not work or may have some bugs - and since it is an unsupported configuration you may LOSE data with no fix available!

Secondly, other things have changed as well on NT 2000 - DNS is a little different, the registry and permissions/security can be very different.

The bottom line is that you need to be very careful.

As an aside - the most common issues on NT that I see are related to name resolution (i.e. DNS/HOSTS) and security.

It is really easy to set up a DNS server in NT2k - and easy to set it up WRONG.

If you are having problems on NT2k check those things first, second, third, and probably last...

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation