OmniBack...... (80 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Mike Barron
Message 1 of 3 (80 Views)
Accepted Solution

OmniBack......

[ Edited ]

I have a question for anyone out there that can help. I am trying to backup my database (which is Oracle 8). Well my Database Administartor set up a job to backup the datafiles needed. He also set up a pre-exec comand to start before the backup takes place. This pre-exec command is a script he wrote that will shut down the database. Well the problem is when he starts up OmniBack it starts under the user oracle. Then when he starts up the backup tool it starts under the user oracle, which is all fine until he starts the job. Once he starts the job the pre-exec script starts like its suppossed to, but it starts with root user owning the script he wrote. Therfore it wont start the right way because it needs to start as the user oracle. I called HP and they said OmniBack defaults the script to start as user root. Isn't that a security violation. If anyone can help me out on how to get this script to start as oracle would be geratly appreciated, thanks.
Mike

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration to Data Protector Support and News Forum.- Hp Forum Moderator

Honored Contributor
Alan Riggs
Message 2 of 3 (80 Views)

Re: OmniBack......

su oracle -c /path/to/oracle/script

Place that line in your pre and post exec scripts, as desired.
Occasional Advisor
Mike Barron
Message 3 of 3 (80 Views)

Re: OmniBack......

Thanks Alan, I appreciate it. It worked. I was putting su - oracle in the script itself. Whatever it is that helped thx...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.