OmniBack and SQL 7 (146 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Andy J. Pirnik
Message 1 of 3 (146 Views)

OmniBack and SQL 7

I am attempting to restore a SQL 7.0 database to a different machine. The restore starts fine but then times out after about 6 hours of running. The database is 100 GB. The error messages that I am receiving are listed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

[Major] From: RSM@gpcsms.gpcsystems.com "" Time: 12/10/2000 10:58:25 PM
[61:1002] The OB2BAR restore DA named "MSSQL" on host arasqlserver4.gpcsystems.com
reached its inactivity timeout of 7200 seconds.
The agent on host will be shutdown.

[Major] From: RSM@gpcsms.gpcsystems.com "" Time: 12/10/2000 11:18:34 PM
[61:1002] The RMA named "HPDLT718" on host gpcsms.gpcsystems.com
reached its inactivity timeout of 8400 seconds.
The agent on host will be shutdown.
Honored Contributor
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Message 2 of 3 (146 Views)

Re: OmniBack and SQL 7

Start by ignoring your goal!

Setup SQL 7.

Install Omniback to that SQL 7 Machine

Backup that (trivial) SQL 7 Machine (i.e. Master, PUBS, Northwind)

Restore the trivial SQL 7 Machine

This, essentially will demonstrate basic SQL DUMP and Omniback Backup/restore functions - and will find MOST errors.

The typical errors on NT relate to security and name resolution.

Use NSLOOKUP to verify DNS name resolution, inspect the HOSTS file to confirm its settings.

The Omniback II Inet service should probably be running as a named user account, rather than the default 'local system authority.'

The named user account you choose should be an administrator of the server, an admin for omniback, and an administrator for SQL.

Check for Omniback patches that might be relevant.

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Honored Contributor
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Message 3 of 3 (146 Views)

Re: OmniBack and SQL 7

You didn't mention which version of Omniback, and this is relevant to some degree. I think OB II 3.1 needs a patch to deal well with SQL 7, so make sure that patches are applied if necessary.

Do you still have the Original database intact somewhere else (I hope?)

If so, use the SQL Enterprise Manager to make a set of "scripts" which describe your tables, devices, and so forth. Look at your device settings, to see which disk drives your devices are on.

Reasonably often, we find a problem restoring to a disk drive that doesn't exist.

That is... the old SQL directory may have been on an E: drive, the new one is on a D: drive, all of the scripts that refer to an E: drive would therefore be wrong...

As you may know, the MASTER database contains information about all of the other databases.

On a production server, if the master database gets overwritten, this would crash existing databases, taking you out of production.

It is natural to try and avoid this by only restoring one, or a select few databases. If you do this, however, you must do more work. You must recreate any missing structure.

You may have to use the SQL scripts generated by SEM or that you recorded when you made the original database, in order to recreate the table structure.

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.