OmniBack II 3.10 on HP-UX 11.00 (109 Views)
Occasional Visitor
George C. Sievers
Message 1 of 6 (109 Views)

OmniBack II 3.10 on HP-UX 11.00

I just recently installed OB3.10 on the above mentioned system. All went well until I tried to import a tape from an earlier installation on a different system.
The first error I got was that there wasn't enough space on the OB database device.
I made a new directory on a device with 150MB of space, made a soft link to it and tried again. Same error.
I made a new logical volume with 600MB of space, copied the db there and tried
again.
This time I got the following error when clicking on the Media&Devices button:
[12:1012} Can not access file.
The xomni Help/Troubleshooting tells me that this means one of the daemons cannot read or access one of the configuration files - of course, it doesn't tell me which file.
The following command-line command gives the same error:
omnimm -show_pools.
I have checked and compared all the configuration files, permissions and etc.
I believe we had a problem similar to this when we upgraded to 3.00 some time ago but forget what we did about it.
Any ideas?
-george
Occasional Advisor
Eric J. Gonzalez
Message 2 of 6 (109 Views)

Re: OmniBack II 3.10 on HP-UX 11.00

Can you please clarify this? The upgrade was performed on a machine that had OBII, or it was just a fresh installation?
Occasional Visitor
George C. Sievers
Message 3 of 6 (109 Views)

In this case, the machine was originally a 10.01 host machine - part of another cell server. The machine was upgraded to 11.0 but remained a host. Before I installed OB II 3.1 on it, I deleted the earlier OBII 3.0 version from it (just the host packages). I then did a new install of OBII 3.1. I then deleted OBII 3.0 from the original cell server (which remains at 10.01) and added it to this machine as a host and did the usual update to it.

Frequent Advisor
KLoeff
Message 4 of 6 (109 Views)

How did you backup the original OB database ? did you do a writeascii and then readascii on the new server or did you do a Omniback database backup and restore, also when the restore was finished did you run omnidbutil -change_cell_name "old_host" on the new server ? was the old cell server 2.55 or 3.0 ?
Kevin
Occasional Visitor
George C. Sievers
Message 5 of 6 (109 Views)

Since this was essentially an initial install, there was no attempt made to save the db on the old host. The old host was 3.0. Think of this as a cold install.
Occasional Visitor
George C. Sievers
Message 6 of 6 (109 Views)

For those who are interested:
1. I installed the patches recommended for 11.00 in the HP OpenView OmniBack II A.03.10 Software Release Notes.
2. I tried omnimm -show_pools and got the same error.
3. I tried omnidbinit (which had not worked previously) and it worked.
4. That seems to have solved the problem since I no longer get that error.

However, for those of you who have had a problem magically disappear without knowing what you have done right, it will be difficult for me to trust this system for awhile....:-)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.