Re: OBII 3.0 and 'CAN NOT WRITE TO DEVICE ([5] I/O ERROR' (112 Views)
Advisor
KURT HARLESS
Message 1 of 6 (112 Views)

OBII 3.0 and 'CAN NOT WRITE TO DEVICE ([5] I/O ERROR'

A couple of questions;

1) I ran a verify on this media and it verified OK. Is this a sign of a dirty drive? I have a cleaning cartridge in SLOT 15 and have dirty drive detection on, but see no indications its ever used. How can I tell if the drive is being cleaned, or even if that is my problem?

2) I have some pre-session and post-session scripts. I was under the impression that if the backup fails, the post-session script is not suppose to run... But it is. Am I wrong, or just miss-configured?
"We've come too far, for too long and done too little too much..!"
Advisor
KURT HARLESS
Message 2 of 6 (112 Views)

Re: OBII 3.0 and 'CAN NOT WRITE TO DEVICE ([5] I/O ERROR'

Just for your info the topic got scrambled somehow, the message said 'CAN NOT WRITE TO DEVICE ([5] I/O ERROR)... HP may want to look at this problem.
Trusted Contributor
Michael Francisco
Message 3 of 6 (112 Views)

Kurt,
I'm having OBII problems myself...but to somewhat answer Question (1)

In addition to enabling dirty drive detection, you must configure a slot for a cleaning tape. Since you're using slot 15, I'm assuming you have the DLT 1/15 or 2/15 library. If this is true, the cleaning tape must have a barcode that starts with "CLN" in the prefix, or OBII won't know that you have a cleaning tape in the library. OBII logs all cleaning activites to the "cleaning.log" file on the Cell Manager located here:
UNIX /var/opt/log/cleaning.log
NT ..OmniBacklogcleaning.log

Couple of notes: HP documentation says to clean DLT drives only when the drive requests it because unnecessary cleaning can cause damage (different from DDS rule that says clean often - excess cleaning okay); DLT cleaning media is good for only 20 uses, so you really need to monitor the log.

For Question (2), OBII documentation has a great diagram that show the flow. (HP OpenView OmniBack II V3.0 Administrator's Guide - Motif version page 191; Windows version page 193). This is it in a nutshell:

If SESSION PRE-exec fails, OBII skips all backup objects and executes the SESSION POST-exec.

If SESSION PRE-exec runs, OBII runs the OBJECT PRE-exec for the first object in the backup session. If this fail, OBII skips the OBJECT backup and executes the OBJECT POST-exec.

When all objects in the session have run, OBII executes the SESSION POST-exec.

The diagram indicates that the both the OBJECT and SESSION POST-exec will run when failures occur.

I know this doesn't answer your I/O error question, but I hope it helps.

Michael
Uhhh...no
Advisor
KURT HARLESS
Message 4 of 6 (112 Views)

Thanks... need a little more clarification;

1) Step #2 of configuring drive cleaning is telling the SCSI-II library which slot, 15 in my case, contains the cleaning tape. Are you saying that I still need a bar code on the tape for this to work?

1a) Dumb question. Radio buttons in Motif on 'ON' when they are filled in, and 'OFF' when they are white?

2) Thanks for the info. Means I need to modify my scripts! Need a way to determine if the backup that ran prior to the post-script was successful... Any ideas?

Kurt
Trusted Contributor
Michael Francisco
Message 5 of 6 (112 Views)

From the OmniBack Admin guide:

1) "For OmniBack II to recognize cleaning tape barcodes automatically, they have the 'CLN' prefix." I think there should be a "must" between 'they' and 'have', but I wanted to quote properly from HP documentation.

1a) it depends...using the default settings in the HP CDE, white means on, but I guess one could have customized the desktop colors in a way that white would be off. As a check, I went into the "Backup Options..." from one of my backup specifications that brings up a dialog box with four choices under reporting level. The only one that is different from the other three would be the active color.

2) The OmniBack logs should tell you exactly what happened during the backup. I know that there is a lot of overhead involved, but we use Web Reporting feature and can view the logs using a browser. You can also use the 'omnirpt' command (lots of options, but there is an man page for it) to generate reports in ASCII or HTML format, e.g.:

"omnirpt -report backup_errors -timeframe 24 24 -ascii" will generate an ASCII report of all the failures over the last 24 hours (yes there are two 24's in the command)

By the way...the reason I'm here so late on a Friday night is that HP Service has been here for 12 hours trying to fix our 2/15 Library - very intermitent problem. Turns out the SCSI cable was bad. If you still stumpted on your I/O problem, you might want to switch out your cables.

Hope this helps.
Michael

Uhhh...no
Honored Contributor
Andreas Voss
Message 6 of 6 (112 Views)

Hi,

to check the status of the prior backup within the post-exec script use the variable:
SMEXIT

If SMEXIT=0 all went successfully
otherwise the backup has failed.

Greetings

Andrew
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.