Re: Need some Understanding about Load banalced Backup and Restrong procedure (38 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Fosiul01
Message 1 of 2 (61 Views)

Need some Understanding about Load banalced Backup and Restrong procedure

Hi,

As a new user of DP and took over an existing backup system,

I wanted to clear about hte concept of Load balanced and restrong.

I was reading about load balanced and my understanding is :

if i have a backup job  for  SErver -1 and if i have 5  tape drive in the backup devices, so the file system (C/ drive, D drive/ ) of that server-1 can go into any tap drive , right ???

if that true.

now if i have restore some old backup, how will know which tape drive look at ??

if my understanding is not right, please correct me .

Fosiul

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Bob_Clark
Message 2 of 2 (38 Views)

Re: Need some Understanding about Load banalced Backup and Restrong procedure

Load Balancing really does not have much to do about this, unless you set a Load Balance MAX=1, to force each object to a different tape drive

What you should be looking at is Concurrency, which is the number of data streams that can be flowing to any one device.  The default is 4.  In your scenario, "file system (C/ drive, D drive/ )" would be 2 data streams, which would not even meet the minimum concurrency of 1 drive, so, all the other drives would be sitting there waiting

Most modern tape drives (LTO4 and above) can easily handle a concurrency of 10 or more

What Load Balancing will give you is that DP will use any of the drives selected... but, only that one drive

When doing a Restore, DP will always use the device used for backup, by default.  If you want to select a different drive, there is a tab in the Restore context named 'Change device'

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation