Move media from one slot to another via OB GUI (486 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Matt Gulick
Message 1 of 11 (486 Views)
Accepted Solution

Move media from one slot to another via OB GUI

Is there a way to move media from say Slot-1 to Slot-5. Resaon I ask is that the library is remote and when I start a restore OB always tells me to put the tape in a specific slot. I can't alway reach someone near the Library to do this and at times the tape is already in the library but the wrong slot.

Thanks
Respected Contributor
Muerwald
Message 2 of 11 (486 Views)

Re: Move media from one slot to another via OB GUI

Hi Matt

right click on slot and eject tape from slot-1 to mailslot, right click on slot5 and enter tape to slot-5. But to my opinion the tape is in the wrong pool because the slot number DP issues is normaly the last free one and when requesting tapes after mount request. When the tape is in the right pool you only have to confirm the mount request.
Kind regards
Gerald
Frequent Advisor
Richard v. Laanen
Message 3 of 11 (486 Views)

Hi Matt,

You can NOT use the OB GUI to move tapes from one slot to the other.
If you have a library with a network connection you could use the web GUI of that library to move tapes. Or maybe Library and Tape Tools if Media Agent is reachable via Remote Desktop or VNC/ILO.
If your library supports barcodes and your media has barcodes you can do a barcode scan from the OB GUI.

Hope this helps, Richard.
Respected Contributor
Muerwald
Message 4 of 11 (486 Views)

Hi Matt

You can use Command Line too:

uma -ioctl scsiX:X:X:X (tapeX:X:X:X)

When you have connected to the library

uma>move s1 s5
uma>exit

Kind regards
Gerald
Occasional Advisor
Matt Gulick
Message 5 of 11 (486 Views)

Muerwald - I tried the eject to mail slot but it won't allow me to eject a second slot. Are there usually more then 1 mail slot? Perhaps the local people left tapes in all the mails slots except 1.

I just tried confirming it and it went tot he right slot this time. Others the restore just crapped out.

Even though OB makes me mad sometimes, its still so much better then the other crap tool we have "Netowrker".

Thanks Gerald
Occasional Advisor
Matt Gulick
Message 6 of 11 (486 Views)

Muerwald - I tried the eject to mail slot but it won't allow me to eject a second slot. Are there usually more then 1 mail slot? Perhaps the local people left tapes in all the mails slots except 1.

I just tried confirming it and this time it went to the correct slot where the tape it needed was. Other times the restore just craps out.

Even though OB makes me mad sometimes, it is still so much better then the other tool we have to use, "Netowrker" (junk).

Thanks Gerald
Respected Contributor
Muerwald
Message 7 of 11 (486 Views)

Hi Matt

In my last post tapeX:X:X:X has to be changerX:X:X:X

Your problem is that someone uses the mailslot for normal slots and that is why the tape is not found for restore. use uma to move tape from mailsolot to normal slot

uma -ioctl

uma>stat x

the you see if mailslots are occupied.

uma>move x1 s5 (where 5 is a free slot)

Kind regards
Gerald
Occasional Advisor
Matt Gulick
Message 8 of 11 (486 Views)

Richard
How do you know if you have a "web GUI" for the library. These systems were dumped on us after a merger with no documentation.

All that I know about the libraries is:
SureStore E Mid-Range 4/40 DLT (A4846A)

Probably too old.

Thanks
Respected Contributor
Muerwald
Message 9 of 11 (486 Views)

Hi Matt
If you are not familiar with DP command line than right click on a free slot and choose enter. If there is a tape in any mailslot one of them will than be entered to this slot. Repeat it as often as you have mailslots, this should always work. The mailslots can not be used for backup or restore only the get tapes in and out of the library. If you would like to use uma go to the data protector bin directory. To find out which scsi address to use

sanconf -list -host

or go to Devices & Media and look at the properties of the library.

Kind regards
Gerald
Respected Contributor
Muerwald
Message 10 of 11 (486 Views)

Does it help?
Gerald
Honored Contributor
Scott McIntosh_2
Message 11 of 11 (485 Views)

The restore doesn't care what slot the tape is in. If you got a mount request, then the tape is not considered resident. If it was in the library, someone failed to barcode scan following the inventory change. If the medium is now resident and you confirm the mount request, it won't matter what slot the tape is in (should not, barring old patch level, etc).

That said, Data Protector is not library management software. Use the library hardware or you can certainly accomplish the task with uma. Enter/Eject, assuming the presence of an empty mailslot, is your method via the GUI, but why? As above, it doens't matter the slot, so long as the tape is resident.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.